1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Watcher, May 4, 2002.

1. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

Hey all just thought I would get some advice on engines before I buy my new Great Dane. I am looking at the 52" model, most of the dealerships have them around here with the 17 HP Kawi on them, but last year I was looking into a Scag Zero turn 52 with that same engine, and with the Scag you don't have the weight of the operator, the extra weight of the machine, or the extra blade speed. I was wondering if anyone out there has the 52" with the 17 Kawi, and how you thought about the power. Was it enough for thick/wet grass? Did you find it was underpowered? Would you recommend going with the 22 Kholer or 22 Kawi? Also I was thinking I might run doubles on it from time to time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we run a 17, 48" and a 19 48" on our danes and they both do fine.. dont know about a 52" but i would look at at least 19 or 23 kaw..
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a Dane, but I found that my 48 Hustler Shortcut w/17hp Kawi is underpowered in thick or wet grass. I recently purchased a 52 Scag TT w/22hp liquid cooled Kawi and found I now have plenty of power. I would highly recommend getting at least a 22hp on a 52 inch deck. Just my 2 cents.
  4. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

we have a great dane surfer, im pretty sure it's 17 horse, i dont look at it much b.c i hate it so much....every week or at least every other week, it breaks...my recoil broke this week and the casing on the engine to fix the recoil is striped, all 4 bolts and my dealer is an idiot and is like "uh they shud come right off." i wud not buy a great dane, they aren't called GD's for nothing, they are very undependable...just my two cents woth
  5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

ztr or wb?
    I have a 52 wb with 17. I run doubles and a pro-slide. Early Spring I wish I had a little more hp, but overall 17 is ok.
  6. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

I am looking at the super surfer 52. I found a place I can get the 22 Kohler on it for $5200 or the 22 Kawi for $5300(only $4800 for the 17 Kawi.) I might just end up getting another Scag wb thou. I just looked under my older Scag and the shroud looks like Swiss cheese... The metal is just worn thin and thru in a lot of places... dealer has the 36" belt Scags with 15 Kawi's for $2560 (kind of hard to pass up.) I might have to just tough it thru this season with the smaller mowers, but it is so hard to price competitively on the more and more common larger accounts.

'94 Ranger
    5X12 trailer
    2001 Scag 36" belt w/ 12.5HP Kohler
    1994 Scag 36" belt w/ 14HP Kawi
    1989 Exmark 36" single belt w/ 11HP Honda
  7. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i would never buy another one .
  8. Foofighter

Foofighter LawnSite Member

Dont waste your money on the 17 I have a 52 stander w/22kohler I wouldnt want anything less. My buddy bought a 52 GD w/17 Kaw dealer said thats plenty of power. He took it back that day because it would bog down and almost cut out on hills.
    He has the 23 kaw now and is totally satisfied. If your going to spend the money you might as well get the best.
  9. Dennis Moon

Dennis Moon LawnSite Member

I have a 52" GD Chariot Jr w/23 Kawi. I love it! I have never been in anything that I couldn't cut. I have cut some vacant lots that haven't been cut in a long time, I'm talking knee high in places. If you don't get in a hurry and keep your speed appropriate for the conditions it will cut almost anything. I didn't buy the 17hp because I wasn't sure it would have enough power plus it was a Koler...I prefer a Kawi myself.
  10. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Surfer 52' with a 22hp Kohler and it has been all I have ever needed. Now if on is trying to cut 4-6' with doubles or singles it will bog down some if you don't take it a little slow. This is the first commercial mower I've ever owned so I have nothing to compare it to but I have really liked mine. I've also never had a problem with my electric start or clutch. I will one day buy a sit down Z but for now it gets the job done and since I don't cut for a living I'm not having to stand on it all day unless I get very behind. Good Luck. That sounded like a pretty good price to me. A couple of years ago my surfer was going for $6k and I bought mine with around 100 hours on it for $2400. I couln't pass on that deal and have never regretted it either.