Great Dane Brutus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David W, Nov 13, 2006.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone here purchase the new Brutus from Great Dane? I currently run Chariot LXs and they have a promotion going for 36 months with no interest.

Would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have purchased the Brutus in a 61 inch deck.

Thanks

2. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

I have not purchased one, but did test drive it. It has the smaller Chariot frame, and the smaller tires. But it does come with the suspension seat, and the hydro pumps are 12cc, where the Lx was 10cc. I think they changed the clutch to an Ogura too. The thing was very responsive in the sticks, and felt like it had more power. When it's time to get rid of my Z, I will be looking at the Brutus myself.

3. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks.

I was thinking of selling my LX to a friend and get the BRUTUS. I heard about the smaller frame thing and really didn't like the idea of smaller tires.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I would hold off jumping on that Great Dane bandwagon for a year or two. The company that bought Great Dane in having some pretty serious financial problems. I would say there is a good chance they may not survive under current ownership. Then, who knows if the Great Dane line will continue to exist. I would wait and see if they make it through another season.

5. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

i thought john deere bought great dane, am i thinking of something else?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere sold Great Dane to ACI/Everride.

As for the Brutus... seems like a souped up plain chariot.
    Myself, I like the Chariot LX better.

The Brutus has got to topple the rest for ugliest mower though.
    I'm not digging that paint scheme at all.....

7. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

Kind of like a hybrid between the two.

Really, you don't like the new paint scheme? I think it is more of an attention getter, and really looks sharp. The all yellow machines were very difficult to keep looking clean.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Nope... don't like that paint scheme at all.
    I still dig the LX scheme better, but I understand about the yellow.

A better look would have been all black with yellow paw prints, lettering and seat.

Reversing this scheme might have been OK too...

[​IMG]

Yellow down the middle and black all around.