1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane Chariot VS Any ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, May 16, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering purchasing another Great Dane. I would like to hear the opinions of others who have Danes. How do you like yours? I would also like to hear from any other owners who have any helpful tips in this department. I have considered the dixie chopper but can't bring myself to spend 10 to 12 grand on a mower.:confused:
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed the dane and almost bought one,there built very well and have a nice cut,if your happy with them id buy another.I demoed several others a ended up buying a Toro Z-Master they cut great in rain and also when its dry, but the great danes are great mowers also,there a little heavy, I do see several around town. Marks Mowing Service
  3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a 61" chariot the end of last year and its a great mower. Besides the fact we had to replace the motor with 3 hours on it LOL the mower itself is very well built quite easy to work on i think and its cut is very very good at high speeds. The only complaint i can bring about is the seat could be a bit more comfortable.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Love mine also, 3 years and no problems.
  5. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I would have to second that about the seat, it does get bumpy sometimes. I love how fast it cuts too. I got mine for $7000 new, I just heard John Deere bought dane

6. Rob

Rob LawnSite Member

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Danes all the way baby! Love mine!
  8. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I have a chariot and a turf tiger, and I can honestly say that the dane is a better machine even though the same man made them both. The great dane mows fast, handles hills and banks good. The seat was uncomfortable, but I purchased one of those suspension seats to put on mine. Costs about 4 or 5 hundred dollars, but is well worth it considering less fatigue, and the capibility of going faster on bumpy ground without be bounced out of the seat. The only thing that I dislike about it, I guess, and its not really a big deal is grass accumalates by the belts in no time at all. It seems that I can be on the mower for an hour and grass will be crammed around the pulleys. I'm constantly cleaning the deck off.
    Since I bought the dane, I have used the opti-4 motor oil. Ever seen it, this stuff seems to be the stuff. It costs allittle more, but it doubles your engine warranty. I have a Kohler on my dane, and now I have a 4 year engine warranty. Can't beat that, considering it costs only about $15 dollors to change the oil every 75 hours.( every month)