Great Dane Chariot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBasher, Dec 24, 2007.

1. LawnBasher

LawnBasher LawnSite Member
    from GA

Anyone have any experience with a Great Dane Chariot? Don't see many of them in my area but I have the chance to get one at a relatively good price. How does it compare to Scag Wildcat for example? Will be mowing 5 acres residential with no trees and VERY little trim work...just straight line mowing. Kind of leery of the Briggs engine (23HP...I think) but some commercial guys around here say it's OK too. Thanks in advance for your help! Merry Christmas.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 60" with the 23hp kawi. Loved it as far as once I got used to it. Drives a little different than most with the control arms between your legs. It seemed very nimble on its feet with the toughy hydros.

Pro's:
    Cut was well
    cheap to fix and keep up
    23 kawi was good on fuel compared to other engines
    ran it till around 1800 hours with no majors issues before I sold it to a local farmer. replaced all spindles at around 1K hours, muffler, seat, tires and normal maint.

Cons:
    color faded quick
    looked 10 years old after the first season
    very touchy hydros (older model maybe diff. now?)
    rear of engine was so close to the back that several of my guys years ago backed the mower into trees splitting the exhaust manifold at the Y every time

If I could find another for cheap I would buy it. Kohler was a little more of a gas hog than the kawi but still a good motor.