Great Dane Cut Quality/Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, May 19, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Any one have issues with the quality of cut with their Great Dane in the thick, moist, spring grass? I know these aren't ideal conditions. However, the overwhelming majority of LCO's in my area use Exmarks, and they appear to be cutting the same heighth grass and getting a much better quality of cut. Also, I often find myself having to go over the properties with my backpack blower to "clean up" grass trails. I keep my blades sharp and my deck clean. What gives? Is the Exmark really that much superior to the Great Dane or is the grass just "appearing to be greener on the other side". Any suggestions...

Thanks, Rick

2. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Rick,

You might want to check a couple of things on your Great Dane....

Check the engine RPM to make sure that it is running correctly.

Check the pitch of the deck...the deck has to be pitched forward 1/4" or so to allow for proper air flow. You want the rear of the deck to be approx. 1/4" higher than in the front.

Check your clutch to make sure that it is working properly. The gap may need to be adjusted.

Any one of these three issues can cause the problem that you are having your mower.

Great Danes cut with the best of them...I have been using them for years...just got a buddy of mine to switch to them as well.

Good luck!!

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Gee, I wonder why this is...................

Not saying you should just go with the flow or be a follower. But I've noticed a trend in the world since I've been on it.

When the "overwhelming majority" of a group of people use a particular product or service over another product or service, it's usually a pretty good indicator that the product in use more often is somehow either far superior or so much cheaper that quality does not matter. I'm going to go with far superior a product in this case. You should always of course demo the product for yourself on your own properties head to head, and decide for yourself which is better.

I've demo'd both products, I like Exmark. I'm buying the Exmark.

I've talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanic at a local Walker dealer. They used to be a Great Dane dealer, I asked him why they don't carry G/D anymore and he would not put an answer into words but his face said it all. Back when they sold them, the shop was always full of them.

I knew whet the deal was when I was looking for a dealer that would allow me to demo these same products (Exmark vs. Great Dane) head to head about a month ago. I found a dealer that would let me demo any Exmark I wanted to on the first phone call. They are located about 15 minutes from my house. It took me about 3 weeks to find a Great Dane dealer that would let me demo only what they had as a "demo" unit. His dealership is about 45 miles away from my house.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Beauty, Cleanness, Smoothness = eXmark

from eXmark WB fan...

5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I bought it was because it was only slightly used and I prefered the design to a walk behind. I got it for $2400 with 125 hours on it and a 22hp Kohler, 52" hydro. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. After going through the exact same experience with the Surfer I have finally gotten it to mow 85-90% as good as I would like. I did it by getting rid of my double blades and cutting only with super sharp high lifts and by lowering the back of the motor wheel mounts to get the deck pitch to exactly 1/4; oh we also lowered my tire pressure back to 15psi' As well as beating on the deck to get it straightened back out. It is finally cutting as good as I believe this mower can cut. If it were my money for a new mower I would be buying an Exmark, no question about it. There are many reasons for this but one which is important to me is the very strong deck and reinforced areas that they have compared to the GDane which although it is seven gauge it is not as strong as the exmarks and I need mine to be very strong as I always seem to be cutting areas that get me into rough stuff no matter how much I try to clean up; It doesn't take too many replaced spindle housings and bent decks to get very tired of this. JMO FWIW