Great Dane engine replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roket77, Apr 2, 2005.

1. roket77

roket77 LawnSite Member

has anyone ever replaced an engine on a great dane? i had a kaw 17 hp that broke a rod and to replace this engine which was specifically made for g.d. which costs about $1300 1500 to replace where othere 17hp kaw's cost 800-900. everything for this engine is expensive and hard to find,,is there anothere engine that i could buy to replace it that will adapt to it(wire hook ups,clearance,etc),,please let me know. thanks,,

2. USM Lawns

USM Lawns LawnSite Member

What type of mower is it? Super Surfer? Walk behind?

You should be able to find a Kohler that will fit it and Kohler makes a nice engine!

How old is the machine? Is it worth putting a ton of money into?

3. roket77

roket77 LawnSite Member

i meant to add in my original post that it is a 48 chariot jr,,,i like kohler,,but kaw made this special for g.d. and i was wondering what to look for in an engine that made this "special",,the kawasaki model id fh500v as-19,,,the as19 part is whats making it difficult to change to another fh500v

4. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

My Surfer came with a Kohler and I replaced it with a Honda. No problem, it wired right up.

5. USM Lawns

USM Lawns LawnSite Member

What dealer is telling you that the engine is special made? You should be able to put a different engine in there if you want.

Check Kohler, Honda or maybe even the Briggs Vanguard.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

is this a great dane?
    [​IMG]

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Forget all the numbers. Check your bolt pattern, shaft diameter and length, then go to kawi's page and find one with matching specs. You should find several, even higher HP options.

The stuff you are hearing is typical of John Deere, who owns Great Dane now.
    No surprise there, but don't pay their price.

The last numbers on the Kawi's mean little really I think. They seem to change by the year.

Spring for one with the right specs and canister air filtration.

Other BRANDS with the right specs will work also.

8. mowtomuch

mowtomuch LawnSite Member

I've got a 1999 Great Dane Super Surfer with a blown 22HP Kohler. Engine spec sticker is missing and am having difficult time finding proper replacment. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

9. roket77

roket77 LawnSite Member

you may not have as hard of a time replacing yours as i did mine,,,i had a 17 hp kawasaki on it,,and to replace with the same engine,,it was hard to find,,the dealers around here wanted 1600 for it,,i guess kaw made it for great dane,,i searched the internet all winter,,the engine i had was a fh500v as17,,,it was the as17 that made it difficult because it was rare,,,out of the blue,,i went to smallenginewarehouse.com and the had that engine for 499,,,it was a short block,,i had to swap my muffler,starter,heads,but it saved me over 1000 dollars,,,i would try that site,,if you dont have any luch there, go to great danes site and email them and tell them you had a kohler 22 hp go on you,,they should be able to give you the model number,,i am pretty sure there was only 1 type of 22 hp kohler for that,,,if that doesnt work,,you could go to a whole different engine all together as long as the shaft diameter is the same(so it matches pulleys,etc),,,type in 22hp kohler engine or great dane 22hp engine in the search part,,try ebay,,try,,replacement mower engine in the search part,,,my friend has a surfer and a scamper that he had engine replaced last summer,,i will ask him his engine size,,i know it was a kohler,,not sure on the hp,,my email is roket77@aol.com if you want to contact me directly,,i will do all ican to help,,i know the frustration in this,,,

10. roket77

roket77 LawnSite Member