Great Dane, Gateway model, anyone use these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGK, Dec 13, 2006.

1. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Great Dane has come out with a model called the Gateway. For those of you not familiar this mower has a wing off the side that folds up allowing the mower to fit through gate. You can mow at either the 36 inch width or the 52 inch width. Check out www.Greatdanemowers.com.
    This thing looked like a great idea.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

I don't think they make it any longer. I am not sure but that is what I have heard. Hustler was trying to get on to market but they have been working on it for years. Hopefully someone will come out with something b/c my yards are mostly gated.

3. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The stripe left behind by a gateway leaves alot to be desired. There was one around here for a while and it looked like you were using a 36 and a 21" walkbehind at the same time.

4. dtrap420

dtrap420 LawnSite Member

I bought one of these and used it for a week or two and took it back. It was nice to get the big deck in the back yards but the stripe was so ugly to me I just couldnt take it. I also didnt like the way the hydo pistol grip steering worked. You let the grips free and you're mowing, fine, to slow or stop you slowly brake which is fine also but if you squeeze the brake past halfway then it goes straight into reverse. So when I start to slip on a hill or try to stop fast and I accidently squeezed to hard or hit a bump wrong I was staight into reverse. I guess after i really got used to it I be ok but for the time I had it I sure hated it. And the one I had you could only use with the whole deck down. If you left one side up the blade would be expose still engaged. All the blades still run off of the same belt. Mabey they changed it I dont know. Any how I really mainly just hated the finished look of the yard so I went back to my Scags. Besides unless you are cutting a lot huge fenced area the time difference between the 36" and the 52" is probably less than 8 minutes depending how big the area is.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think Hustler gave up on their fold down mower project.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned a gateway for 4 years and love it! Very reliable mower!
    Stripes are good once you learn the mowers way. I have over 2000 hrs on mine.

And yes I own and have owned other mower brands.

Great Dane has put the manufacturing of the mower on hold but may bring it back once some flaws are fixed. You can still buy them too.

7. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

Where can you buy them? I would love to get one if I could.

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

From a Great dane dealer just use their dealer search.