Great Dane Gateway?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Oct 14, 2000.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of your guys have any experience with the GD Gateway? Its a 52" walkbehind that has a side flap taht folds up to make it 36" wide so it will fit in gates? I have a pic i can scan if you guys would like to see it.
    Im thinking about getting one but at 5500.00 i want to get what im paying for. Anyone have it and what do you think if so?

Chris

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea but at $5500 I can buy 4 Stone specials. Is that a hydro machine? I saw a picture a while ago and my main concern is that the wheelbase isn't very wide therefore it wouldn't hold hills as well as a standard WB.

3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that you would have to have a lot of large fenced lawns to justify it.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My dealer who is a big Great Dane supporter gave me the idea it would not be the best choice and to avoid. Hills would be a big issue also.

Ray

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a great idea. But a novel idea.

At $5500, you increase your productivity by less than 50% only in the back-yards that accomadate a 36" deck.

You need to do a PILE of fenced back yards to justify the bucks.

I'd suggest investing $180 (average, $90 when split w/ customers) to increase the customers gate size to accomadate your 60" Z.

You could expand 60 customers' gates and save room on your trailer, too.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd have to pass on that mower. It's priced too high. I won't take on a lawn customer unless my 61" can fit on their yard. If you have a lot of "gated" lawns, get a 32 or 36" mower. It would be a lot cheaper.

7. syzer

Well the great thing i thought was that its still a 52" hydro machine. Even if i didnt have one gated property if there is one i can get at a much higher price cause no one else will do it, i have the machine for it. Like i said i thought that it was nice to still have a nice 52" machine, but with the extra ability. The wheel base width could be an issue though i didnt give that one much thought =(. What do other 48-52" hydros run?

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My Great Dane Scamper is a 48" but it has the taller rear tires and narrow wheel base so getting use to using on hills was a challenge. The 52" Scamper is great though, very wide wheel base and very good on hills. I would have bought the 52" but 48" just gets through several gates I have to get through. Try one if you get a chance.

Ray

9. syzer

When its time to buy i will check out all of the hydro walk behinds. I would like to get a great dane though being that we already ahve the chariot, i would like for the equipt. to match as much as possible. I do like the scampers though.

Chris

10. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

What a waste it is just a gimmick in my opinion.You might as well get the DC that has the sides to go up into 36 then back to 42.That will be more productive there.:)