Great Dane Gateway

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KJ26, Jan 17, 2001.

1. KJ26

KJ26 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Just got back from my local dealer and was checking out an interesting mower. This new great dane is pretty cool ,plus it eliminates the need for a 36" mower. My question is has anybody used one of these or heard any rumors before i drop $5,500 to buy one ?

thanks Keith

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If this is the one your talking about you CANNOT mow with the wing up. Unless the design has changed.

Kris

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

you only put the wing up to get through the gate.
    plus the blade turning while the wing in the up position, is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    i have heard they are a good unit

4. KJ26

KJ26 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Yes ,,i know you cannot mow with the wing up,,, i'm interested in finding out there faults and such

5. kutnkru

You meant the need to eliminate a smaller deck to acces gates and such. SORRY. Alot of people on here talk about the advantages they THINK are available by using this mower with the wing up. My misinterpretation of your statement.

Kris

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

$5500 is way to much for a walkbehind. Buy a 32/36" walkbehind or just don't do yards without full access. The Gateway mower is a good idea, but the price is way out of line.

7. capital

capital LawnSite Member

I don't know if I would be buying a Great Dane. First problem is they have been boughtup by John Deere. Second thing is they have had to redesign there mowers since Wright Manf. holds the patents for there mowers. Wrights are more stable than Great Dane and don't appear to be cutting corners on the pumps and spindles. Plus why buy a mower for one specific property?

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I seen one last week at a small trade show in Indy at the Midwest Turf Conference. I was told that they are now made at a new factory here in Indiana.

I picked up a price sheet on them. The Great Dane Gateway Walk Behind is a Dual Hydro with a 52" Batwing Deck, that of course allows you to get in a 36" gate. All engines are Electric start and are available as follows; 17hp Kaw -$5,670, 18hp B&S -$5,464, 18hp Kohler -$5,792, 22hp Kohler -$6,026.

I know this is, in a way, apples to oranges, but, I think the price is inline with other Hydro walkbehinds out there yet this has the added feature of a batwing for gate access. Now I cannot speak for cutting quality, engines, dual loop, pistol grips, etc.. But, if it is as good as a straight hydro walkbehind of any other manufacturer, why spend the same for something that you cannot get into a big gated backyard if you have them or want to get them. Great Dane themselves want $5,100 - $5,500 for a straight deck hydro unit of same size.

If you purcahsed a Hydro unit and a smaller grear drive just for gated yards I would say you are looking at starting prices of $7,000. You of course would have a backup second mower or another mower so two people could be mowing at once, but it depends on your operation, available trailer room, etc.. But with this Gateway mower, one guy would never have to go back to the trailer to unload and use another mower. Do that ten times in a day and you have wasted 1 - 1 1/2 hours, that starts to add up at the end of a week. Just a thought.

9. kutnkru

What ever happened to their website. Last spring it was under construction and now there seems to be nothing.

Has anyone seen or heard about the site???

Thanks.
    Kris

10. KJ26

KJ26 LawnSite Member
    from NY

thanks for the help guys,,, i think i'm going to purchase a 48" hydro and a 36" belt drive. I can get 2 mowers for the price of one.