great dane head ache

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All American Lawn, Aug 24, 2003.

1. All American Lawn

All American Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a 52" super surfer...love it very fast, did'nt stripe that well at first until i put about 50lbs of chain on it.......now it lays them down pretty good...anyways my problem is that the exhaust blows right into my face and makes my eyes water really bad and gives me one h-ll of a headache..and also do you think that one could get carbon monoxide poison from this???

If you could give me a little advice on this issue other than buy a scag i would appreciate it very much.

thanks
    Richie

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it possible to bolt on some sort of deflector to the exhaust?

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

can you rerout the exhaust. Also i will tell you to buy Scag crap NEVER in my life time.

4. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Here's another idea. Contact the engine manufaturer (probably Kawasaki) and see if they can provide you with another muffler that directs the exhaust in a different direction. A deflector is a great idea and would be your least expensive alternative.

5. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have seen some use a piece of car tailpipe and redirect the exhaust by attaching the piece of bent pipe with a clamp. The muffler on my SS has enough of a stub to do that.

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Call the company and complain and if that does not work osha or that other safety group and let them know because that is very unsafe. What if you pass out and ride out into a street or somethig else.

7. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

TRex--Invite the government into my business---I don't think so. I guess if you're so concerned about safety in your business that you mow with the discharge chute in the down position. Just a thought.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is awful having the exhaust right in your face. Didn’t you notice this when you demoed the mower? Contact the dealer & manufacturer to see what they can offer as to a solution.

Gravely_Man

9. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

Ask the question in the Great Dane forum... Maybe they know of a solution?

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like someone is awake at the switch!