Great Dane Hydro Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by genesis215, Jun 12, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Just this morning as I was mowing my 2000 Great Dane Scamper suddenly stopped driving. I tried setting the throttle in different positions, and other things, but nothing worked to get it moving again. I thought it had to be a broken engine-to-hydro belt (I had this same problem before on my previous Great Dane, and a new belt fixed it). I shut the mower down, then restarted it. I noticed that the hyrdos sounded like they were pumping as normal. I could distincly hear them like I always have. I have not looked under yet to confirm that the belt is still intact. The hydros are the "integrated hydro" style, which means the wheel motor and hydro are in one unit. What do you think is the problem? I thought I had heard somewhere about these hydros being problematic. I will need help as to what this problem is immediately, or else I'm going to have to mow my 2-acre yard with a push mower out in 90 degrees. Thanks alot for your help.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would inspect the belt or the tensioner pulley/idler/spring used to put tension on the belt, more then likely since your drive stopped completely on of the three have failed.

3. genesis215

I checked it and it looks like part of the tensioner pulley flew off (part of it was laying stray up in the mower deck area), and something had snapped and broked. The belt is fine, but there is no tension on the belt, so it does not move. Praise the Lord it is not the hydros. I'll have to figure out how to put everything back together, and replace parts as necessary.

4. genesis215

Can any of you identify what part that is? It broke in half. It is on a 2000 Great Dane Scamper hydro. I assume it is part of the idler pulley, but anyway it swivels back and forth, and tensions the engine-to-hydro belt. I need help with this immediately because the lawn is growing out of control here, and I am having to mow 2 acres with only a 21" self-propelled mower. Thanks for your help.

002.JPG

003.JPG