Great Dane Jr. - Grass Killer !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I purchased a GD jr. today, 52", 23 kaw. for $5700 brand new. This thing is a grass cuttin machine. I was super impressed by the quality of cut. My primary before this was Walker MTGHS, 20 hp, 42" deck. They both have their applications but the cut of the GD is incredible. The Walker stripes with it's wheels but the GD seems to stripe by the shear downforce of wind from the blades. Stripes are nice and wide. Also, I always had problems marking the turf with my Walker when I turned. It's really hard to mark it up with the GD. I'm not sure what it is but the amount of discharge (grass clippings)from the GD is far beyond what my Walker can do (with the no catch deflector). My Walker has a weak cylindar so it's going in the shop. Only time will tell if the GD holds up. The only odd thing about it is there is no gas gauge and the tank is not transparent and also the blade height seems to be off. I started cutting tall fescue at 3.5" but it was way too close. I ended up leaving it at 4.5". This thing is also great on hills. It holds well without spinning. Thanks for all the input in the archives. John Deere has 6.9% financing also!!

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sounds about right. :) Have your dealer re-check your deck, they may have not put it together correct if it's off that much.

3. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We love our GD Chariot, wouldnt give it up for anything though I havent really used anything else I dont want too =). We are going out this weel to purchase the last fixed deck Surfer from our dealer before its too late nd cant get them anymore. Awesome machine.

I tested the 36" Super Surfer the other day when we were there. Talk about awesome. Thing has the same blade tip speed as all the other machine hehe ebut on a 36"...talk about wicked.