Great Dane Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerUp, Mar 21, 2000.

1. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Great Dane Chariot. I have had it almost a year and love it. 52" cut and 25hp Kohler. I would like to hear what you think of your Dane. There doesn't seem to be many people buying Danes. What's going on? They are really good machines.

2. grasskutter

grasskutter LawnSite Member
    from mass.

i have two great danes, 52 and 61 never had a problem with either, they just cant bag that well, I only use them on wide onpen,non bagging areas,and they cut the time down like i couldnt believe, may buy another one this year!<p>----------<br>grasskutter@cs.com<br>

3. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i too love the 52in dane ....mine is a surfer,i put a quick vac on it and it bags ok,but not like a walker,the only thing i dont like is the bags being in front of you getting you full of dust,i would like to try a pull behind cart and blow it into there,any ever do this?i would love to see a pic of a trailer set up if anyone has any ideas,<p>thankyou scott

4. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Chariot 61&quot; 25 Kohlor. I really like this machine. The speed is tremendous. I was a little taken back by the baffling under the deck. It works so well that when cutting wet grass, you get a lot of hay pinned above the blades. Air velocity is not that great. Every so often I would have to shut the blades off and a half truck load of wet grass would fall to the ground, then start up again. However, you can mow a sensitive area on half throttle without blasting cars, side walks or mulch with grass.<br>I use high lift blades and it sounds like a helicopter. In dry grass this machine does an excellent job of cutting the grass into millions of pieces. Whenever I cut grass that is a bit too high, I raise the blades up and cut it high then lower them to the desired height and cut again. The result is a great cut that almost looks bagged.<br>Steering is more comfortable than levers coming from the side as in turf tiger. Can stripe like a humdinger.<br>Great Dane really does need a good website. <br>

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

sounds very firmiliar! i have a gravely 60inch 3 wheeler. when grass is even a little moist it all sticks to the bottom of the deck and when you shut off the blades 50 lbs of wet grass flys and makes a mess all over the nicly cut lawn or side walk. just one of the many reasons i bought a new rider and put the gravely up for sale!

6. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

I have a chariot 52&quot; with 25 kohler also. I like it but have had several problems that a new machine should not have. Safety switches not working properly, eating belts, etc. Spent a lot of down time last summer. I bought it last spring. I think my dealer knows less about it than I do. Does your deck slant forward. Dealer claims that the front should be lower than back. I don't believe them.

7. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

my deck was slanted forward when i bought it,so i took off the rear wheels and drilled new holes to make it level.

8. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

Is there anywhere to grease the spindles or pulleys on the Dane. I have the 52&quot; Chariot. I can only find 8 grease fittings total. Is that correct?

9. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

According to my Great Dane dealer, the deck should slant slightly forward for proper air circulation. I don't think it is much more than a fraction. All of my spindles have grease fittings but then who knows what is factory and what is not, I bought a demo unit.

10. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

I believe a 1/4&quot; pitch back to front is ideal according to most manufacturers. I wouldn't suggest trying to &quot;even it out.&quot; The theory here is that the blade should only cut grass at the front, rather than having both front and back edges contacting grass. This allows the clipping to be discharged from the point closest to where they were cut, yielding more efficient discharge of clippings. None of this sounds all that important, but this is the way mowers are set up to work.&lt;p&gt;John