Great Dane Oil Change ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I have a GD Chariot Jr. with 23 kawasaki. The dealer changed the oil the first time at 6 hours. I now have almost 50 hours and need to change the oil. As you know, Great Dane has terrible manuals. Is there as easy way to drain the oil without getting it all over the place ? I see the drain plug right below the filter, but it just opens up to the flat frame. If I drained it here, it would cover the frame and run all over the place. Can I rig a drain tube so I can drain it out the back ? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My suggestion is to take out the plug and let it drain where it may go. Take this plug to a supply place that carries hydraulic hoses with fittings on the ends and get a short hose with the same size threads that your plug has. Have them put a cap on the other end to plug off the hose. This is what comes standard on the Choppers and it works out great. Just take the cap off the end and let it run into a gallon can.

I hope this helps.

3. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

there is a drain plug on this unit it is on the starter side of the motor. it is copper colored and has a quarter turn thumb screw on it. you will have to look closely for it. also it has a access hole cut in the frame for the oil to drain out of.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

5. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Thanks Richard Martin. I did use the search function as I always do. I read that thread but it did not answer my question. The Dane drains out to a flat area on the frame. There is no drain hole. I knew the plug was metric because I used a metric socket to get it out. I simply want a drain tube to lead away from the frame. I had one of these on another kawasaki engine I had. I'll contact my dealer on Tuesday to see if he has a solution.

6. casey

casey Guest

There may be a drain plug on the other side that will work. The 15 Kaw a drain plug on both sides.