Great Dane or John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC, Jul 23, 2001.

1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have gotten 2 really good prices on both of these mowers. my question, which is the better mower and why? I like the dane cuz of its construction.....but the Deere is pretty well made too. The dealers are both the same so what can I go on next? The Deere has a 54 inch deck and the Great Dane has a 52inch deck. Deere with 25hp Kohler....Dane with a 23hp Kaw. I am a bit confused, someone help me out

2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Which Dane are you talking about? They have several models.

3. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

read thru here and listen to all these people having trouble with the 25 kohler that should help you make up your mind

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

A friend is a mechanic for JD he told me stay away from jd Zs he has several pages of service bullitens.

I run a Great Dane and couldn't be happier.

Great Dane is now owned by Deere and Co. I guess they couldnt build a better one so they bought the company.

Jim

5. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

my fault......it is a Great Dane Chariot Jr and a John Deere M655

6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely go with the chariot, Deere's M665 is built by Kees and has encountered many problems to this point. I believe this is the reason that they acquired Great Dane so they could "save face" and not suffer any more damage to their suffering midmount z' market. Great Dane(in my opinion)prostituted themselves by selling out to Deere, but it wasn't my money that made the decision. Use your own judgement, but look around and see how many M665's you see in use now and next year make the same observation and I think you'll see just what I mean...................Lynn

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Great Dane.

8. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

GLC,
    Dont let these men Talk you against jd,none of them have probably never owned one.jd usually cost more and there is a reason why.My wife and I own $30,000 of jd equip,and Thats the only brand we will buy.EXEPTIONAL QUALITY IN DEERE EQUIP> experience it yourself.

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

I.M.H.O. go with the Dane.

10. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Great Dane