Great Dane or Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrimsonLC, Apr 28, 2004.

1. CrimsonLC

CrimsonLC LawnSite Member

I have been thinking of purchasing a new walk behing and am torn between two: the Great Dane and the Toro. Does anyone has any preferences? I have used a Toro before and have had excellent use out of it but on the other hand I have heard really good things out of the Great Dane. What do yall think?

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

CRIMSON

I've got Great Dane & Toro & Encore & Exmark ZTR's and an Exmark Metro HP walkbehind. BUY AN EXMARK! My 2 Exmarks outperform all the others, HANDS DOWN. The DECK design is superior. They disperse clippings better than any of the others. I'm never buying anything else than an EXMARK.

Mike

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

ouch. Hope non-exmark reps dont see that answer! Do you have any experience on the super surfer from dane? They look very innovative.

4. Papa Wheelie

Papa Wheelie LawnSite Member

my 36" super surfer has made a couple of EXMARK owners pretty jealous with how versatile it is and how well it cuts at high speed but i bag everything so i cannot comment on how it disperses clippings. However, those blades are moving pretty fast so i don't think that clippings would be a problem.

5. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The Great Dane mowers disperse clippings as well as any other machine out there..

They have the highest blade tip speed allowed by law and a very deep deck..

The loop handle walk behinds are bullet proof and the Super Surfers are big time savers!!

2 year commercial warranty as well...bumper to bumper!!

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The great dane wb's are only fixed decks, I believe. The toro comes in fixed and floating. The GD are hydro mowers, the Toro comes in both hydro and belt drive.

The toro hydro T bar is jumpy and I couldn't recommend it. Their belt drives are great. I've owned both, and would almost prefer a Toro belt drive over the hydro I had.

The great dane scamper offers a "push to go" steering bar system that I like, the HG model comes with pistol grips. There is a HG 36" model on Ebay for a fantastic $2400 price, new, from a dealer who I've bought from before and who seems honest.

Be sure you're willing to deal with the limitations of a fixed deck on the grass there in Alabama. If you're mowing Bermuda at 2" and then Fescue at 3.5" you'll run into problems with the height adjustments. The caster spacer adjustments, the fastest, only handle a range of about 3/4" w/o causing blade pitch problems.

If you are a pistol grip user, I think the Toro floaters with the 17hp Kawi are good choices.

Most if not all Toros are fully mulch kit capable. I'm not sure, but the GD may only offer a block off plate, which is an inferior mulching system.

I was tempted to buy that GD 36" because of the great price, but it just has too many items on my "no-no" list (pistol grips, fixed deck, questions on mulching ability, sparse dealer network here, reliability questions based on number of problems I see posted here vs. other brands)

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a toro wb gear drive with the t- bar controls and floating deck and im very pleased with it

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Hella great post brucec32.. Thanks

9. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Toro WB hydro with pistol grips and a fixed deck. I am very pleased with its performance and maneuverability (especially backing up). Cuts great, runs strong, and is easily operated.

10. CrimsonLC

CrimsonLC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys, I just always like to hear other opinions before going out to buy something. I still have to go and check out the exmark, never have bought one, so it looks to me this is going to be a drawn out process for the next week or two.