GREAT DANE or WRIGHT STANDER

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheBigGW, Apr 5, 2008.

1. TheBigGW

TheBigGW LawnSite Member
    from MA

Guys i know that there enough people that will love to give there 2 cents worth on these mowers I am buying one of these Monday but i just am not quite sure which one to get. Please input what you think about them thanks i will be purchasing a 52" w/23 KAWA so let me know thanks

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Regardless of what some unreasonable, baselessly arrogant pric of a dealer might want you to believe the Wright is a superior mower.

About three or four years ago when this question came up, several LCOs from here on LawnSite, cutters from around the US, field tested comparable models from both manufacturers; the consensus: Wright. It cut better, handled better, was better on hills in the *opinions* of all who put them to the field test *side-by-side*.

I don't own either and have no interest in promoting one over the other *except* for my own side-by-side comparison test of the mowers.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Had both- Dane barely made it out of the shop, Stander was a workhorse.

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I've had both. I now have just the stander. That should answer your ?'s

Tony

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrights are far better built machines. Lots of Guys here use them. Ive seen maybe one Dane.

6. Pysher

Pysher LawnSite Member

I just rode a Great Dane 19 HP 48" today at a grand opening in Kresgeville PA. I was very impressed with the handling on the hill he had there. No complaints here. I may purchase one this spring.

7. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

I have 2 WRIGHT'S I can't be wrong! I have a Sentar and a Stander love them both. No problems on year 3.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

wrights are more compact and smaller footprint as far as wheels and will do better. i think the dane decks clog badly , i used to have a dane. cut great, but only if it was dry as heck and not too tall.

9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

alot of guys are basing their opinions off of older machines.

I say unless you want to spend more money for no reason, go with the Dane/or Gravely.

Can you stand on a Dane or Gravely, grab the handles and swing back and pull the front wheels a foot off the ground? The answer is no.

I'd demo both. Can't go by what everyone tells you.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Four years is a lot of time for changes. Heck, the Gravely version even got a Gravely deck as compared to the older Dane deck last year. Compare them where you use them and them decide.