Great Dane PTO Clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LwnMnWoody, Jan 5, 2005.

1. LwnMnWoody

LwnMnWoody LawnSite Member

I have been having problems with fuses melting on my Chariot. At first, it was a long time between blown fuses but got to the point it wouldn't run 10 minutes. I bought a new main wiring harness for it and am about to install it because I think it is an electrical problem. My friend, Bubba, who owns an outdoor power equipment company, told me that the PTO clutch needs to be adjusted because it is drawing too much current. Have any of you ever adjusted these? Is it an easy task or something that I will have to take to a mechanic? :dizzy: :help:

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

While the clutch is probably drawing too much I have never heard of a clutch adjusdtment causing fuse blowing. I hate to speak in absolute terms because as soon as I do someone will chime in with how to do it. But as far as I know the only adjustment is the brake to stop the blades when you turn the pto off. I have seen a few Dane clutches go bad. Sometimes you can see the melted stuff starting to ooze out the bottom. This would be a dead giveaway. May be someone that has more experience will add their two cents worth.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If it is adjustable or not depends on what brand the clutch is. If it is a Warner clutch than most likely it is not adjustable. If its an Ogura clutch then it has three adjusting points. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to adjust it because I really don't know. Hope that helps.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The only adjustment is to the air gap which should be adjusted to .010 to .012 inch. You will need 3 feelers to do it right, one at each slot. This has to do with it grabbing when switched on and NOTHING to do with current draw. Most of these clutches pull only about 3 to 5 amps. Check the wires on the back of the clutch just where they go in the housing. I have seen a lot of clutch wire go bad and short there. The bad thing is most of the time you have to remove the clutch in order to even see where the wires go into the housing. Are you 100% sure it is the clutch causing the melt down?

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member