Great Dane pump problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Speed Freak, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Speed Freak

Speed Freak LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I have a 52" Great Dane Chariot, it only has 165 hours on it and last week I noticed the left drive pump making noise. Sounds like a bearing screaming and I can hear it over the blades. I took it in to the shop on Saturday to have it checked out. The shop is now telling me that it does have a bad pump and it has to be replaced. How much should I expect to pay.I used to take up for GD mowers but I think now I may have to look into another brand. I could have bought I mower from Lowes and made it 165 hours, this thing sucks! ALmost seven grand and I'm putting more into it already.
    Thanks
    Guy

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt it under warrenty?

3. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

I have a chariot 25 kohler with a52 in deck and it has 154 hours I havent had much trouble other than ablown head gasket which was a kohler problem which my dealer covered under warranty. this is not the best machine but my dealer who also sells exmark backs up what he sells and goes the extra mile to make things right so I dont love great dane but the machine makes me money and i guess thats what matters most. btw check with your dealer and see if the machine is under warranty if it is all costs sould be taken care of also I would go to gd website and email them telling them whats going on it should help also what model year is the machine? good luck :waving:

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

it should be undr warantey. If not it could be a few hundered easy

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Your pump failure really doesn't have much to do with your mower's manufacturer unless it doesn't have a hydro cooler on it.

I suggest that you contact Great Dane and tell them your delema. I doubt that your dealer would do much for you. Ask them to help you with a claim against the pump's manufacturer and see if you can get some assistance with obtaining a repacement.

At the very least, you will have to pay for labor, at the most, the parts also. A new pump will cost you around $350 - $400 just for the part if you buy it from the dealer. It probably is a Hydro Gear pump, and I have seen them on ebay for as little as $250.

They are not that hard to replace yourself, but you should also check out the wheel motor because it is most likely the cause of your pump failure.

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I have a JohnDeere 657 standup mower. I've had two pumps and one wheel motor replaced under 150 hrs. warranty covered it (2 year coverage). JD owns Great Dane now...its the same basic mower as the Super Surfer. I think most manufacturers use the same brand pumps and wheel motors. I have a 1997 & 98 origional surfers (best mower on the planet (IMHO). Never had a hydro problem.

7. Speed Freak

Speed Freak LawnSite Member

They told me the pumps only have a 1 year warrenty.
    I will try the contact info in their web site to see what they say.
    Thanks
    Guy

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I also bought a new one this year and had more trouble with this one then my old one I deal with a great dealer and they have really taken care of me check your warranty and get them to fix it.