Great Dane Scamper HG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Omalawn, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Omalawn

Omalawn LawnSite Member

Anyone have any feedback on Great Dane Scampers with Pistol Grip. I have the opportunity to buy a new one at a very discounted price. This will be my first mower so I want to do the right thing. I have been up in the air about whether to go with a 48" or 36" but the one I have the opportunity to buy is a 48" electric start. I will be mowing mostly residential lawns. Help appreciated!
  2. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

well it all depends on if you have allot of gates on the lawns that you mow and if the back yards are large or small. I would go with the 36" if you could but if thats not the option then go with the 48". my deal is if you can have a 34/36" to do the back yards then a 52-62" for the front and the large areas then your set. so is the deal worth it to not be able to fit into all your back yards. just my .02 let me know what you do
  3. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Great mowers I have one if you are it new It will last a long time
  4. kjslawn

Buying it new Sorry typing not good
  5. Omalawn

Omalawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Wilson, you're right, I would rather go with a 36 with a bagging attachment to start out with. In a perfect world, I would start this year with a 36" WB then gauge what most of my business is and add a 48, 52, or 61 stand on(either Surfer or Wright) if I needed it. This new 48" GD wb is only $1750 so kind of hard to pass up I think. I will still have my little Toro 22" for back yards if i can't get in with the 48. I just want to make sure the GD Scamper HG's are decent machines and don't have some fundamental flaw with them.

Another concern is that I will have to buy a sulky, I can try to find a used one on Craigslist though I guess.
  6. kjslawn

@ 1750 buy 2 and sell the other on ebay for2400
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought one last (late) fall from another guy in Omaha. Small world huh? His was new in spring on '07, hardly used, sold it for $1,600. It's not elec. start.. Came with a Lesco castering sulkey though.

Sounds like a gread deal for brand new and elec. start though! A velke is not hard to come by... Matter of fact, I have a single wheel velke here that I really don't know if I want to use or not. I didn't think the Lesco sulkey pulled too well behind the Scamper, because it's really not all that heavy of a machine, it was tough to do any kind of a side grade, and it would just spin out if I wanted to back up. Conversely, the single wheel velke pulls a lot easier, but backing up is harder because you either have to step off, or have to have it sitting straight and then hold it straight when backing. Turns no problem, but I about got into trouble a couple times with it...

I'm just going to have to find what works best too. Can't play with it yet!