Great Dane Scamper (WB) Opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Since Great Dane has been acquired by Ariens and they're still being produced, would you buy one? How reliable are they? Cut?

2. tb8100

from TX

bump ttt :)

3. mowman84

mowman84 LawnSite Member

I would just buy a wright stander.

4. tb8100

from TX

well yeah, but a stander type of mower is alot more than a regular walk-behind...

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have one I bought last late fall (a lightly used '07 model). Haven't got to use it much more than on a couple properties, mostly just playing around with it. Mine's a Hydro 48" pistol grip.

I have ZERO experience with a hydro walkbehind, and only limited with belt drives, enough to know that I do not like to run belts, lol. They hydro, even the pistol grip was a lot easier to run than I had thought.

Problems I had with it, it's pretty light, dosn't give a lot of traction for pulling a sulkey. Have a castering type, but reversing it wants to just spin the tires rather than back up. The single wheel Velke seems to get along better with it, but not so well with my legs and ankles (yes I about broke my leg a couple times...) I'm not much help with the machine, since I have very limited time with mine. I know how to adjust everything though! Every linkage on it was out of whack, thing was going in circles in neutral! All's good now though.

6. tb8100

from TX

what did it set you back?

7. Jason Rose

$1,600.00

Yes, they list new for about $3,000.00 for the same model. I think I did ok on it!

8. tb8100

from TX

$3000 new is cheap!! Most 48" belt drive WBs sell for much more. $1600 for a slightly used one is an absolute steal. :dizzy:

I started another thread on this....why are they so cheap?? They run dual 10cc hydro pumps, and don't have pistol grips. Or at least the ones on their site don't. So yours has pistol grips or no? On their site, they have some sort of custom controls on theirs.

9. Jason Rose

you can (or could before) get them both ways. And the Scampers seem to have 2 totally different models out there too. One has pumps and wheel motors like most other hydro walkbehinds, and then some have hydrostats, like mine. Sealed system, no resivour tank, no hoses. I've found them on Ebay for about $3,000, new, from some dealer. So that's what I'm basing my price on. Yes, the "fancy" ones with their loop handle controls and the pump/wheel motor set-up are more expensive.

Matter of fact, here's a link to the exact one I have. http://cgi.ebay.com/48-GREAT-DANE-H...ryZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

10. tb8100

from TX

Oh ok, I was wondering. Do you know if they're ZT2800 transaxles? If so, they're a commercial hydro system. No reservoir though. That's interesting. I know our Bad Boy ZTs with the ZT2800 transaxles have a little 3 quart reservoir.

I wonder how it would do with Turf Master tires. I've heard those Turf Savers suck for traction...