Great Dane Spindle Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by renda454, Sep 22, 2004.

1. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me why my spindles are wearing out instead of my bearings. The spindle housings are wearing where the bearings set.

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

If the spindles are wearing out from the bearings, as you stated, then the outer diameter of the bearing is too small. Therefore the bearing is rotating inside of the spindle housing. This is not correct. The bearing should be a "press fit" inside the spindle housing. It should also be a "press fit" around the spindle shaft. Looks like your bearing O.D. is incorrect, and needs to be corrected. Double-check your numbers, and possibly double-quess your parts man.

3. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

It did it with my original bearings on three different mowers

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

any chance of taking a picture of this and posting it?

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

This is typical with non greasable spindle bearings.As the bearing starts to seize up, the next area with the least resistance is the outer bearing race. There for the whole bearing starts turning in the spindle housing.I have had 2 spindles go on my Hustler Super Z like this. They just don't make them like they did in the olds days.

Gene

6. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

It is difficult to say for sure without seeing what is going on but if the bearing rollers have more friction than the outer race against the housing then it will turn the race and wear out fast. You may be putting too much time on the bearings and not changing them soon enough. I think the manual calls for bearing replacement annually. It may be that they are moving around under load or from vibration. (straight and balanced blades, its more important than you think) I am not too fond of this design. I have seen many where the bearing just falls into the housing. I would think it would be a tighter fit but that is not the case. You could try locktite but I wouldn't hold my breath. You could also take a center punch and make little dimples in the ID of the spindle. This will raise up little dimples that may hold the bearing more securely.

7. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

Ha-ha You Are Funny