1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stewartje, Apr 29, 2008.

1. stewartje

stewartje LawnSite Member

I am thinking about a 61" Great Dane Stander with a 23 hp Kohler motor that I can pick up for approx. $1200. It has been used for about 6 years. The owner said that it has the hydros are not very responsive...he thinks they might be out of adjustment. Anyway, what are your thoughts about Great Danes?
  2. stewartje

By the way, I am moving to TN and will have about 1.5 acres to mow at my own place. I am taking all my equipment to try and pick up some grass there to cut. I already have a 32" Bunton WB Belt Drive and a 48" Bunton WB Hydro. This Great Dane would complete my arsenal. I also have an ECHO trimmer and backpack blower.
  3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say the hydros are more like "dying" rather than need adjusting. How many hours are on it?
  4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Is it a Great Dane [Super Surfer] or a [Wright] Stander?

I'm suspicious of the hydros either way; have them checked before you buy it. The Wright Stander would be more worth spending money on, IMO.
  5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know alot about hydros but it sounds like they are on the way out. I like my great dane alot and 1200 sounds pretty good to me even if you have to have some work on it.
  6. Indycomm

Indycomm LawnSite Member

I just traded my six year old 61" Super Surfer for a Wright Stander 61". The Super Surfer had 2 pumps fail in the last 2 years (same right side) and a busted frame last year. I am not a professional... Just a home owner with 4 acres to mow. The Wright Stander will arrive tomorrow. I am soooo glad to get away from GD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. stewartje

Just an update...
    I did go ahead and get the Great Dane Super Surfer. I was able to get the owner all the way down to $900 (from $1,900). I had the motor checked out (it has the 23 hp Kohler) and it is as strong as ever. I worked on adjusting the steering a little myself by adjusting the tension on the rods that go to the hydros and have it straightened out.

I also found a great shop nearby that services Great Danes. They are giving the deck a once over and I should be good to go for a long time. I have cut with it a couple times and so far I really like it. I can't wait for everything to be tweeked so that it is mint. I definitely will be what I was looking for and a great addition to my arsenal.

Thanks for all the input and I will post one more time to let you know "the rest of the story."

J. Stewart

32" Bunton Belt WB
    48" Bunton Hydro WB
    61" Great Dane Super Surfer
    Echo Trimmer
    Echo Backpack Blower
    1997 F-150
    Open Landscape Trailer