Great Dane Standers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, is Great Dane out of business? They have some really great deals on their mowers, like $2,000 less than normal. Is it gonna be hard to get parts for them, or are they still available? I'm looking at buying a newer mower, but I thought I've heard that Great Dane/Everride is done for. Any help is appreciated.

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Dane and Everride are certainly not done for. As you know, both brands were owned by Auburn Consolidated Industries and last year, ACI went out of business. Ariens bought the Dane and Everride brands and from what I have heard, they plan on continuing with the products that both offered. You might have found an older Surfer/Super Surfer unit that was made back during the ACI days?

3. Lawnut101

Yea it's probably last spring's . Will I be able to get parts for it from my local Ariens dealer? And is $4200 for a 19 horse Kawasaki 52" deck a good price? I think this machine used to sell for about $6200. What do you think?

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I paid $5500 for a 48" SuperSurfer last summer, so that sounds like a good deal.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

As most parts will interchange between the old and new, yes you will be able to get parts. YMMV depending on the dealer though.

6. aubdeer

aubdeer LawnSite Member
    from midwest

From what I have been told everything is going on just as it was when they were owned by Auburn Consolidated. Both lines and parts are readily available and will continue to be....

7. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

I bought my G.d. super surfer last year... its an 07... paid 4200. If i get enough new business this spring ill be buying another one. For smaller yards the standers are awesome!

8. Lawnut101

Alright, it sounds like I may have found a good deal. I'm gonna check around here and see if I can come up with anything else as well. I will also call my local Ariens dealer and ask them about part availibility. They are a great dealer, so we will see. I still have a while before I'd be buying one, so I'll keep you posted. But for tonight, I'm going snowplowing!!!!!! payuppayup Thanks for the input!

Brant

9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Ariens bought the "assets" of Auburn, they did not buy the company. The company went out of buisness.

This leads to the next issue. Ariens will run the Great Dane and Everride names seperate, as well as offer the stand on units in the Gravely line up.

Parts should not be an issue because they are the same parts for the Gravely, different paint codes.

Auburn dropped their prices rediculously to try and stay affloat, but it didn't help. My dealer costs on the Gravely units went up significantly once Ariens took the wheel.

Subsequently, Ariens is now looking to set up distributors for Dane and Everride, rather than deal dealer direct like they do with Ariens/Gravely.

Some current distributors will loose the product based on the agreements Ariens wants to be a distributor. With that, some distributors will gain the product. Along with this, dealerships will shuffle as well.

The good news is the products didn't suffer, however, prices will increase. While other manufacturers have been raising prices, Auburn's have be going down, and so went the business. The bad news is there is alot of paperwork mess along with this. Warranty reimbursement to dealers is an issue. Basically, if dealers aren't getting paid, they aren't going to fix the equipment for free. Because Ariens bought the assets, and not the business, they aren't forced to honor anything set out by Auburn. This is something they have been working or ironing out per my last conversation with my Gravely salesman.

To make a long story short, there might be some good deals out there on the yellow lines. Just be carefull of dealer support and what the warranty situation is. If you can save 2k like some guy said, then who cares about the warranty anyway. The motors are warrantied through the engine manufacturer anyway. Worst case you might have to replace an expensive pump or motor, or have some welding done. Still cheaper then 2k.

Otherwise, just buy the Gravely and you know what you have. 2 year or 1k hour warranty per usual is what i believe they are doing.

19hp fixed deck units are in the upper 5k range, so yes, 4200 is a real good price.

Hope this helps:waving:

10. Lawnut101

Thanks this helped a ton. I wouldn't be buying this from a dealer. I would be buying this from a distributor. But, my thinking is that if I save 2k on a brand new mower even with no warranty, like you said it still has the engine and hydro warranty from their manufacturers, I can have 2k around for repairs down the road. This I feel is a much better deal than buying a used ZTR with 1500hrs on it or so, am I right?