1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane Super Sufer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trimmer, Jul 19, 2000.

1. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I just wanted to know if anyone had one of these. I would like to know how they perform and how well they cut also the ease of routine maintance on them. Do they have a good production rate and how well they perform on hills.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

A friend of mine has 7 Surfers and loves them. The wide wheel base allows them to function very good on hills. They are very productive and easy to operate. On maintenance, not sure. My Great Danes have been great, I plan on buying a Super Surfer 61&quot; as my next mower.<p>Ray
  3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The original surfer is a great machine.<p>The Super Surfer AS IT IS, is a sub-standard piece if equipment.<p>Problems with the Super Surfer:<br>1.) The original frame that came out in 2000, is weak and will fail prior to 300 hours of use. (On the 8 machines I know of)<p>2.) The rear axle iss too far back adversely affecting the machines balance. The downhill steering and braking control is inadequate and unsafe.<p>3.) The blades on the 23Kaw/61&quot; spin too slow.<p>4.) The HOC adjustment uses too small of pins and the pin braces are too far apart causing them to bend and cut low on one side.<p>I'm sure they are correcting these problems and the newly available weight kit/fenders are an improvement, but this machine should not have been released with these and other problems not properly dealt with.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Thanks for the info Lazer. Maybe I will look for slightly used Surfer instead.
  5. Chris

Chris LawnSite Member

We traded our original Surfer for the Super Surfer model. Frame snapped in half at 160 hours. Great Dane & our dealer provided a loaner, new frame and all the updates. Seems to be a better machine. Check to make sure that you are getting an updated model. Production is good, trailer space requirements are minimal. Some routine maintenance items are a pain and not well thought out. In spite of drawbacks, we'd probably by another one; they are easier than a WB, and employees aren't quite as tired at the end of the day
  6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Are they still making the original surfer or did the super surfer take it's place? I realy like the original surfer but havn't tried the super surfer. What engines do they offer on the super surfer?
  7. DaveOhio

DaveOhio LawnSite Member

We traded for a new SS this spring too. Before our frame broke we'd had enough small problems to give it back. Got 100% and tax back from dealer. Bought a used surfer and we have three now. I think the achilles heel of these mowers is the tendency to rip bald spots on damp or thin turf. (and we really try not to.) They are excellent machines. The company should have the bugs worked out next year.
  8. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I was talking to an engineer at Great Dane and he told me that the blades spin at 18000fpm on the 23hp kaw 61" super surfer. Is this the slow speed you were refering to with the super surfer or did they improve the speed since you used it?
    What do you like about the original surfer? They have several original surfers at a dealer near me that are demo's and have only cut grass once or twice. They cost thousands less than the supersurfer but the tires are smaller, they appear slower, you can't change the HOC as easily because the deck does not float and the list of differences goes on.