1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane super surfer mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dominicano, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Dominicano

Dominicano LawnSite Member

Does any one know anything about the Great Dane lawn mower brand??
    Specifically a 36" Great Dane Super surfer mower (stand on mower)? Any input will be greatly appreciate it!

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48" super surfer. Great Dane is now part of Ariens, and the same mower is sold as a red Gravely (an Ariens brand). John Deere has or had a green machine made by the same factory, using a JD deck. There are a couple of machine by other brands also. So ask your dealer about parts and warranty.

I like my machine, but it doesn't do too well in tight turns. Other than that, it is fast and productive.

3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is a 34" unit. I know it is a fixed deck and I believe comes with a 17hp Kawasaki. I priced the Everride version of this mower last summer at around 4995 I think but that was before the BK and Ariens Acquistion.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I got a price for the 34" Great Dane a couple of weeks back and I was given the price of $5499. It seems to be a little more expensive than others. I think that many years ago Great Dane offered a Super Surfer 36" but that had to be over 5 years ago.

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I priced a Everride Scorpion FX 34", $4,650

6. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Great Dane did have a 36" Super Surfer at one point in time but it has since been discontinued.

7. Dominicano

Dominicano LawnSite Member

You're right. This is an older model being sold by private owner. It has about 160+ hours and has an oil leak. He said he took it to get it serviced last season and that's when it developed the oil leak. He asking $2000 for it (which I would never pay that amount for it) but he said he is conscience that it needs some work done to it so he is willing to negotiate. He estimated $500 worth of repairs. I'm on a budget and in need of a small machine like this one. What do you all think? Should I be looking into something else for the price I mentioned?

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Great dane surfers is mainly all we run on residentials right now. I do like the wright stander a bit better (the older models) but the danes are more affordable to keep running than our wright standers. IMO you can't beat a surfer on a residential yard.

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a Wright Stander over a Super Surfer. If you really wanted to save money, why not get a 36 walk behind with a Velke?

BTW, Gravely's Stand-On, the Super Surfer, and Everride's Scorpion are all the same machine. The co. that produced these used to make John Deere's Quik Trak but I am not sure if this is the case now.

10. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Wouldnt a hydro WB with a sulky be just the same and alot cheaper?