Great Dane Surfer electrical problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sonny Boy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Sonny Boy

Sonny Boy LawnSite Member
    from 64429

I have a Surfer (not Super) with approx. 750 hrs. on it. 17 HP Kawa and manual start. After running it with the mower engaged for ten minutes, if I then stop the mower for even a moment, it won't re-engage. I have to let it sit for about one hour before I can use again. I have had the mower to two dealers. The last one (where I bought it) put in a new coil, declared it fixed and sent it home (90 miles one way). Nothing had changed. Phoned the dealer and was told they would have the mechanic call me back. Long story short, they won't call back. I ended up not being able to use the mower for the season (too busy to make the long trip). They did just send me a flyer inviting me to their Spring Open House to purchase a new mower! Ten days ago I e-mailed Great Dane and have not heard from them as well. Really frustrating. The Surfer cuts well but has now been sitting for over a year and no one will help. Thoughts?
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did you look at the clutch??? it could be time to change it.???
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

4. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

if you have a electric clutch it could be a switch or relay not making connection it`s not usually the clutch causing this problem
  5. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Does the engine not start after you shut it down or is it the blades will not engage even though the engine is running. Its hard to say exactly what the problem is without being there but try this. If the blades will not engage use a test light at the power wires going into the clutch. One goes to ground the other is power. When you engage the switch the test light should come on. Next I would use some small jumper wires and go directly to the clutch. You should hear it engage. This will tell you if it is a clutch problem or a wiring problem. If the problem is the engine not restarting then I would pull the plug wire off and check for spark. If you have spark then you would assume that it is a fuel problem. Sometimes the fuel tank vent does not work right and can cause a problem like this. Try taking the gas cap off next time it acts up. Hope this helps.