1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Great Dane Surfer (Rope Style Starter)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a Surfer with the Kawasaki engine. The starter rope is not retracting all the way anymore. How do I re-tension it? I'm sure if I play with it long enough tommorow I'll figure it out, just thought this might save me some time. (Since Great Dane dosen't give you a service manual when you spend several thousand dollars on one of their mowers, and the Great Dane sales rep. says he couldn't get me one if he wanted to-yea right)

Thanks guys, Rick

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

listen unbolt the recoil from the engine pull the rope out as far as you can pull [to the end ] hold the circular part tight an dont let it retract cut off the end of the rope an pull rope out of recoil . once rope is out give that circular part a few turns in the direction that is giving resistance. now feed the rope back into recoil tie your knot, hold on to rope an let go of the circular part an the rope will feed nicely into recoil housing .all done any questions call me

3. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Thanks George,
    I'll give it a try tomorrow morning-I appreciate it!

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

my pleasure if ya need a walking thru it just give me a ring ok i am glad i could help!!

5. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member