Great Dane Surfer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Feb 27, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has a surfer...likes? dislikes? We have a 36 inch scag walkbehind as our trim mower but just are not satisfied with it. thanks,eggy

2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Super Surfer at the beginning of last season. It had a few bugs in it that required it being in the shop several times. I am happy with the machine. It is very easy to use in tight spaces. The cut is good. I have the Kawasaki engine and that works great. It fits on the trailer well. My other mower is a Scag SSZ and the Great Dane can outcut it. Any other questions just ask.

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

How is it getting up on curbs for islands etc? That is a concern the walkbehind I have is pretty easy to get onto curbs.

5. watatrp

Has no problem going up curbs. Just like any rider go up backwards at an angle.

6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I bought a surfer and I really like it...They're not really all that great on hills. I bought the surfer for two reasons: 1) Great Speed 2) Trailer space....Derrick

7. watatrp

What do you mean when you say it isn't that great on hills?

8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

scags are the best when dealing with high curbs and steep slopes.

the surfer has great speed for flat and slight slope areas. however on big slopes, we still revert back to using a scag mower since the weight is distributed better, and the scag has a better footing.

we also have super surfers, which have been upgraded. weight packages were added to the rear wheel area and the frame was beefed up, the original was very thin steel compared to the earlier surfer and we cracked several of the super surfer's frames last year.

As the previous post said back up curbs on an angle and you'll be fine.

So, if you have extremely hilly areas keep a scag, little to moderate slopes, go with a great dane.

9. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I mean they're not very agile on hillsides..They do o.k. if you go up and down the hill, but if you go side to side, they can be very tricky to get them to do what you want them to do....If you have several hilly yards, be sure that you have a walk behind to do the hills..The danes are great on small slopes and flat areas where u can go full speed...Derrick