Great Dane Surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Heath, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

Anyone know anything about them? Worth the money? Do they cut good?

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Great Dane has had a TON of problems with their Surfers and Super Surfers over the years. I can attest to that!

I would probably go with the Wright Stander or, better yet, a small Z rider for the same king of money.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto, the spindles need to be replaced about once a year (maybe more) they eat up belts, pumps, clutches, decks crack easily, front castors are weak, ect......

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Get a Wright Stander. The Super Surfers have longer wheel bases so they aren't good on hills and aren't as efficient because they can't be turned as fast. The longer wheel base also effects where you can take them. The Stander can be taken more places than the Super Surfer. The good thing I will say about the Super Surfer is the suspension foot-plate, it really helps smooth out rough ground.

5. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I personally like my great dane surfer, great for mulching leaves in the fall

6. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

I like my 48" Surfer, havent had the problems as mentioned above. In fact I'm looking at buying another. Good luck.

7. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

I think it's amazing that everyone has problems with the Danes, but no problems with their standers... I went through 2 decks on my 61" stander before dumping it, and had trouble with a 52" leaving strips of grass. Doesn't every mower have problems?
    Bottom line, if you have a good dealer, the little problems with mowers don't become huge issues.
    Just my opinions

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Standers aren't bulletproof. You bet they have their problems. I'm comparing them based on performance, productivity, and even cut quality, where the Stander is a clear winner over the Super Surfer, IMO.

9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100%

10. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

To each their own, let's agree to disagree. I personally like the quality of cut on my Danes, but I do know there are other mowers out there that perform good also. I must have an exceptional dealer, as all of my minor ( in my eyes ) problems were taken care of quickly.