1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

great dane surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GLC, Jan 21, 2013.

1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Anyone out there still operating a first generation great dane surfer? The ones with the fixed deck. How much are the worth now? I see one for sale on craigslist for $1300 without an engine...hydros good, deck good...what do you guys think?

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Offer him $800. It isn't worth 1300 IMO. It is missing an engine which is kind of important.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Obviously hard to tell if the hydros are good with no engine.

4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have run a Great Dane Super Surfer 61" cut for years. Mine was a barn find with a bad spindle and a shot motor. Paid $500 for it but had to drive six hours round trip to get it. I put a used motor on it years ago. Still kickin. Last year I took the deck off, had it sandblasted and welded all the cracks. I have to Kubotas. One 60" ztr and one 60" front deck mower. The Surfer is just so so good on hills I can never get rid of it. The only thing I'd ever replace it with is a Wright Stander X:weightlifter:

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

GD Super Surfers use a tunnel deck, right? Similar to BOPs if I'm not mistaken...

6. skimow

skimow LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I am always looking for these old mowers 61" only. these were the greatest stand on riders ever made! I have 3 right now that I am rebuilding the pumps and wheel motors on. I will run these until they completely fall apart. after that i hope to have the money and time to build new ones on my own

7. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

The one I have is a fixed deck mower. I still can get all parts for it and it likes like a new one every year. I will not part with this thing till I retire and the sad thing is I probably only need it on about five of my lawns a week.:dancing: