Great Dane Surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4evergreenlawns, Feb 17, 2003.

1. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

Is anyone using the Great Dane surfer?

It is a stand up ride on. I am leaning toward the unit straying away from a 36" Hydro/vulkie unit mainly because of the overall lenght. I need something that will cut small commercial lawns with burms and lots of shrubs to get around along with a fairly large open areas. This unit looks great but I am curious to hear from anyone else already using the unit. Have heard some good comments from two local guys using them buy want to be sure it is not just ego talking.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 LawnSite Member

SUPER SURFER IS A GREAT IDEA TO THE 48 HYDRO YOU CURRENTLY USE. sURFERS HAVE FLOATING DECKS ON ALL SIZES OF MACHINES SO THAT IS A PLUS. aCTUALLY TAKES UP LESS ROOM ON TRAILER. yOU CAN BACK UP ON A SURFER WHICH YOU CAN NOT DO ON A VELKE. ALSO THE OPERATOR COMFORT LEVEL FROM STANDING ON A SPRING LOADED PLATFORM IS TREMNDOUS WHEN YOU CUT FOR 6-8 HRS A DAY. aLSO ON THE DANE IS A SPEED BAR CONTROL WHICH IS KEY FOR TRAINING NEW USER ON THIS MACHINE. YOU CAN SET IT AT CERTIAN SPEEDS REGARDLESS OF THE SIZE OF THE ENGINE. GOOD MACHINE WILL SPEED UP YOU PRODUCTIVITY

3. jamiecole

jamiecole LawnSite Member
    from Tn

Surfers are great! I have one I bought used, a few years old but it is awesome! This is my second season and I purchased it about mid way through the season last year. The machine is just awesome in my opinion! Although it does not have the floating deck like the new ones do, it still has sold me on Great Dane equipment. When I buy some equipment that is new, it will definately be Great Dane equipment. Seriously considering buying a new Great Dane Gateway. Have you seen these? It's a walk behind that is 52". The 52" deck folds up to make it 36" or so to make it accessible to get in a gated lot. It looks awesome! Anyway, my view on the Surfer is They are awesome!

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I loved it when I demoed it.

IMHO fastest and most productive machine there is.

5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone think the Surfer is AWESOME!?

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

The super surfer looks good for mowing exclusively, What about fall and spring clean up time... is there a collection attachemnt for it?

7. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Trac Vac makes one for Great Dane.

8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes best machine ever.

9. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your comments. I am very impressed with the floating decks. The dealer recommnded to put the bigger tires in the unit to help with the wet hills if gates are not an issue. I will let you all know. I am also leaning toward the 17HP in place of the 15HP engine also for the extra power on the hills. I will be buying a 36" Surfer to start, and go up from there as needed.

I do like the less space taken in the trailer. I am buying a new 7X14 trailer with the idea that as I get more epuipment I wil fill up the trailer. Also it will allow me to always have my Perma Green in the trailer with a few bags of fert. and the back pack sprayer to service jobs as they come up. Of course until I load the trailer with mowers for the increase in customers. (from my lips to gods ears) Tthen I will put the Perma Green back in the shed until application time.

Once again, Thank you all.

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a John Deere dealer nearby or your Great Dane dealer that sells John Deere (Deere bought out Dane) you ought to look at their stander. I plan on demoing one as soon as weather permits.