Great Dane Users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Salmon, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Big Salmon

Big Salmon LawnSite Member

I have been using Great Danes for the past few years without any problems. They leave nice stripes, and are reliable. I have noticed that nobody uses them around my area or on lawnsite in general. Are they really a bad unit? Should I switch to another stander brand? And why? I'm looking to by another 60'' of something. Thanks

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

If your happy with Great Dane, why would you switch just because nobody else seems to use them. People do use them, but you need to use a brand mower that works for you. In case you didnt know, now Great Dane is made by Everride. That could be a potential reason to switch.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using the "surfer" or the "super sufer" ?

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Salmon, what city are you in?

5. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

What's wrong with Everride?

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

There is nothing wrong with everride different areas different mowers here it's scag and exmark grasshopper with a lot of the old retired codgers mowing 10 yards a week with murray cub cadet and low end john derre,we have a dixie chopper dealer with no sales also.

7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

I would switch if I were you.

Great Dane has had a ton of problems over the years and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Many of the better dealers in my area have dropped Great Dane due to these problems.

I'm switching to all riders as they are faster and more comfortable. The newer mid size riders can do almost anything the stand on mowers can do. In the few areas that can't handle a rider I'll use my walk behind.

8. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I've seen the same thing here. The Great Dane company has been bought and sold at least a couple times in the last few years (John Deere owned them for a short period). I was told that the person that founded Scag mowers also founded Great Dane, but their product doesn't seem to mirror that.

9. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

As stated in many other posts, we love our GD SS 52" 17hp Kawi. We also have an EverRide Warrior 60" 25"hp Kawi. Both of these machines perform week in and week out. We have had a few minor problems w/ the GD, but it was nothing that any other brand doesn't deal with. I say go with what you like and know. Also go with the dealer that gives you the best support.

p.s. both of these mowers ran for six hours on a single property yesterday. They both performed like champs.

p.s.s. the new Quick 36 cut 140 condo units yesterday. I think I'm going to buy another one. The guys loved it.

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Great Dane Super Surfer. One of the original Super Surfers as I received several parts after I started using the machine that were later standard parts. I talked to Dane Scag at a trade show prior to purchasing the Super Surfer. Yes, they are Scag quality but there were some mechanical problems. Mine is still running strong. It may have to be retired as parts become harder and harder to get. Otherwise, it's been a good machine and very manuverable.