Great Dane vs. Flex Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cowman66, Jun 15, 2002.

1. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

Does anybody know the disadvantages to a Gate way? and also the disadvantages to the flex deck system. by what ive seen on the flex deck it looks alot more cost effective to use the great dane gateway, but i dunno. any help would be appreciated
    -andy

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Gateway. I mow at 3 to 4 inches with little scalping problems. It is a great mower to use were the 60 Lazer will mot fit. I use a pro slide on the mower.
    400 hours with no major problems. I am glad to see a 22 Kohler engine option now. PM me if you have any questions.

3. The Gateway can only mow with the deck down.

The Flex-Deck, mounted on a 32" or 36" hydro mower is much more benifital than the gateway.

32" or 36" mowing width.

50" or 54" mowing width.

Can remove it for a small mower only.

Can squeeze it where a 52" wont go with the FD down.

Can get those harder to reach aeras.

I plan on getting my FD mounted on a 32" or 36" hydro soon.

The FD can give you more mowers in one. Can come off or put on is seconds.

4. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

wow thank you i didnt think of using the FD on more than 1 mower...thats pretty smart

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

LGF and others,
    I am sooo tired of this topic. How many of you out there use a Gateway?? I think nobody. So how do you know where it will fit.
    I have over 400 hours on mine, and guess what. The gateway is my smallest mower. It will fit anywhere a 36 will period. And yes I had a 36 and a 48 WB. I sold them. One mower, one engine, one set of blades.
    The gateway will even fit through a 48 inch gate with the wing down.

6. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

You could get a gateway and mount a flex-deck to it, what else could you want!!! LOL

7. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

haha good idea, but i dunno if it would work