Great Dane warranty question

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by punisher1, Mar 19, 2004.

1. punisher1

punisher1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I purchased my 52-25 Chariot in May 2003 from a dealer in Durham, NC. After approximately 3 months a crack developed in the padding of right arm rest and about 3 inches of the padded arm rest came off on the suspension seat that I purchased extra. I took the arm rest to the dealer and they replaced same under warranty. Over the winter the same thing developed in the arm rest on the left side of the suspension seat and it also came off. I just took the mower into the dealer for a spring service and check up and requested that they replace the arm rest on the left side. The dealer called me today and advised that Great Dane now informs him that the whole suspension seat would be covered under warranty, but not the armrest and they will not replace the whole seat because of a defective armrest. Could you advise why one armrest would be covered but not the other and why the $500 seat is warranted, but not the armrest on the $500 seat. It seems to me to be a material defect since it occurred on both armrest. It doesn't do much good to have a two year warranty, if it doesn't cover anything. Thanks for a response.

2. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Please send me all of the information such as:
    Model #
    Serial #
    Dealer Name

I will then get with the distributor to find out whats going on.

Thanks,

3. punisher1

punisher1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I responed by personal message and never received a response from you, so I guess you didn't get my first message

This mower was purchased from Barnhill Equipment Company, located at 4415 Chapel Hill Blvd. Durham, NC 27707 (phone # 919-493-3545). This mower is a 25/52 Chariot, serial # TCRZ25W010563, that was purchased in May 2003. My email contact is barry_thompson@unc.edu. The rubber/foam on both armrests broke off where the metal in the arm rest stops. This appears to be a design flaw or factory defect. All I am asking is to get it replaced. If I had known this was going to happen and Great Dane not stand behind it, I definitely would not have spent $500 extra for the suspension seat. What does the 2 year warranty cover? When I purchased this mower from Barnhill Equipment, they advised me that they were the flagship dealer for Great Dane because it was made so close by and they stood behind their mowers and would work with them quickly to take care of any problems that I might have. I hope Great Dane does the right thing in this instance, either replace the armrest or replace the whole seat or refund my money for the purchase of this seat and furnish me with a regular seat (since it came from the factory with the suspension seat). When you spend as much money as I have on a mower and then spend $500 extra for a seat, you expect the seat to be well made and not have to go through the problems that I am going through, just to get an armrest replaced. I hate to see what I will have to do if anything major occurs.

4. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Punicher,

I have forwarded the information on to the distributor in Winston-Salem. They should be getting in contact with you shortly. I will give them another call just to make sure.

Thanks,