Great Dane wheel motor/pump issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Korey, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Left wheel is less responsive and is slower than right. Changed oil and bled the proper way (jacked up mower, opened free wheel valve, pushed controls back and fourth, etc). After noticing that the wheel still wasn't as fast as the other, I thought it was a parking brake issue, so I took the drum off, but that wasn't the issue. Tried turning the wheel shaft by hand and it wouldn't turn, so I took the right wheel apart and was able to turn the shaft by hand.

My question is- if the right shaft will turn by hand, but not the left, does this mean there is something wrong with the left wheel motor? It feels like something is jammed up when the shaft is moving. Thanx.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That's what it sounds like to me, It should spin just as free as the right side.

3. Korey

I'll probably have to take it apart, but I have no idea of how the motor works- is there anything I need to be aware of besides draining the fluid?

4. Korey

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the underside of the hydro cap and parts of the pipe in the tank were covered in bubbly stuff before I changed the fluid, thus indicating air in the system. Would this have anything to do with the left wheel not being able to turn by hand?

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, If you did have air in the system this could have been the cause for the wheel motor to fail. But the air alone may not cause one to be hard to turn.

As far as taking one apart, Just remove the old one and install a new one. But, Even though you just changed the oil re-flush the system to make sure no metal particles are left. I remove all hydro tanks and flush them as well just for piece of mind.

Check ALL hose/connection fittings for tightness after replacing the motor.

6. Korey

Guess what- I just found out from the previous owner that only one pump was replaced! I was lead to believe both were replaced and wondered if this would have something to do with the left wheel not turning... I will have to look at the mower again and see which one was replaced- I think it was the right side since that's the stronger side, but if it turns out to be the left, then I'll be damned...

7. Korey

Looked under mower and the newer pump is the side I'm having problems with!!! What the heck? Poor installation job?

8. Korey

Did not realize that I never followed up. Ended up needing the pump rebuilt and had to replace one wheel motor which solved the problem.

9. ejceles

ejceles LawnSite Member

Was it the pump and wheel motor on the same side that felt weak? And also how did you go about rebuilding the pump?