Great Dane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chopsticks33, Jul 26, 2006.

1. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

Recently I've been looking into Great Dane mowers, mostly the Chariot...does anybody here use them?? Do you like it? How does it compare?
  2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I have a 61 inch chariot. I love this mower. There are alot of guys that don't like Great Danes but I like it. It cuts nice and stripes nice. It has plenty of power with the 25 HP Kaw. I have to say I have a very good dealer that is also a good mech.

The only problems I have had is a small issue with the motor (Can't blame Great Dane it is a Kaw) and the mower deck went off level one time. I run high lifts and gator blades depending on what time of season it is. I have 400 hrs on it now.

I also know a guy that has a surfer. He has about 1600 hrs on his and he put a new hydro motor on it. That is the only issue he has ever told me.

I think if you have good dealer support it will be a good mower. They all need parts sometime, find a dealer that will get them sooner than later.

Hope this helps.
  3. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, how does it compare to other mowers?
  4. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I think it is Ford vs Chevy type thing. I will buy any mower that will make me money. I am pretty good friends with my dealer and I have helped him out. He is a Ferris, Great Dane, Bob Cat dealer. They all have issues. Nobody wants to say there mower is worse than others lol. With that being said, if I were to buy another mower it would depend on price and dealer support. Also always get a larger motor, more power is always better. The other ZTR mowers I have run has been Scag (good strong well cutting mower) , and a Cub Cadet Tank (nice mower also). I know it sounds wishy washy but I think they are all decent, get the best deal.
  5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Great Dane is a nightmare unless you have an excellent dealer that stocks a lot of parts and knows what he is doing.

We had a ton of problems with our Super Surfers and parts availability was a MAJOR issue!!

There are too many good solid brands on the market today to risk going with Great Dane.....they are yellow for a reason.

My dealer calls them boomarangs...he sends them out the door and they always find their way back.
  6. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Surfer. 950 hours. Runs great, very nice cut. At the end of each season I send it to the dealer for a "check up", they aren't a Great Dane dealer but, they haven't had any issues with it.

Again, I only use it for my lawn every 5 days it's been great.