1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great dane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutters edge, Dec 6, 2004.

1. cutters edge

cutters edge LawnSite Member

How do you rate these mowers? Thinking about getting one. Do they compare to other machines.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you like scags??
    DANE SCAG makes the GD.

seem to be pretty good, but have never used one.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Turn around and run, run fast, run far, and dont look back just run run run. Hopefully you will be running in the direction of GD's parts warehouse, because their parts supply sucks.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

They look like good mowers. I've heard good things about them but have never used one.
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had a problem with either of my Great Dane mowers. I had a surfer traded it in on a Ferris Zero turn Rider. I still have the Gateway model I love it. Dean Scag designed the whole product line but then sold it to John Deere when he started scag. I think G.D. are the simplest built machines out there but my dealer support is awesome never had problems yet. Demo as many as you can and buy what fits your needs and who will give you the best dealer support.
  6. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

No need to run, maybe lawnman had dealer problems. I have a 4-5 year old 52 inch surfer and a 2 year old 48 inch hydro walk behind and never had a problem with either one other than a blown fuse once. I'm leaning towards getting another surfer in the spring.
  7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a Gateway for four seasons. Very little problems. Parts are not an issue.
  8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 52" surfer...no problems at all with the parts supplies. I ressurrected this one and totally rebuilt it, all with the help of my local shop. No problems with the parts...he had them right there. I think some people have got to learn how to cross-reference the part numbers. The machine itself is strong and dependable. It's another worker that never asks for a paycheck...always ready to work...and always on time. I love it !!!
  9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2003 Gateway and will not be buying a Great Dane product ever, ever again. Hydro pump control lever valve broke twice, in the first 20 hours of use! There is too many better mowers that you can buy now. I know two other Great Dane users and they dislike their 2003 mowers also. But their new 2005 mowers look like they are better built.