Great Danes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MysticLandscape, May 13, 2006.

1. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Was talking to my dealer yesterday. He said that he has some great danes comming in next week. I can get a 48 " hydro with the 17 HP kawi for $3100. I don't see many of these mowers around as this is only the second year anyone around here has carried them. If anyone on here has one how are they? They look heavy duty and a good build but how is the guailty of cut? how do they stand up to everyday use? What other opinions do you have of these machines. I was thinking about getting a stander which one would you prefer?

2. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have a Super Surfer. I absolutely hate it. It stayed on the trailer, unless I absolutely needed it. It has NO anti-scalp rollers, and it is a floating deck. :nono: It has the earth mover deck. If it hits earth, it moves it. The machine itself, is wonderful. Cuts great, nimble, and maneuverable. BUT, if the area is sloped, I mean like rollers, something uneven, it will peel the sod. You can't cut with the deck low enough because of it. I would not recommend a stander unless you want to weld rollers on the deck. The WB models are a little better. They are bulletproof machines though. I'm getting rid of my Surfer now because of the aforementioned problems... :clapping:

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

They suck ! You will spend more time repairing it then anything else. Save the time and the headache, buy a Wright Stander.

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever owned one?
    I have had my gateway since 02 and it broke down for the first time last week and it was just a spindle. The gateway gets a great cut I almost bought a Husq ZTR the other day but I forgot how good the cut is until I got it back. It mows great in the rain too.

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

They do suck! Great Danes have the most problems of any manufacturer that I have ever seen. If it can break or fall off due to quality control issues...it will.

The "hydro" walk behind that you mentioned uses homeowner IZT hydro transmissions NOT seperate pumps and motors. These "Scamper HG's" have been a problem from day one...that is why they are dumping them so cheaply.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

My gateway has parker pumps and motors.
    Have you ever owned one?
    I have never had anything fall off of mine. Bobcats on the other hand 2 of those 1 being a 19hp 48" ztr broke all the time and my 48" w/b breaks every time I use it.

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have surfers...love em :weightlifter:

they are defenetly our machine on residentials between the surfer & wright stander we have found nothing to get our residentials done quicker! knock on wood we have yet to have either of them break down in the 3 years I have had the danes.

I have used the walk behind and its very nice. What I like about it in perticular that sets it aside from others is when you have your speed control lever all the way forward the hand controls never make your hand stretch to far out to ride wide open (good for people with small hands) On our bunton & bobcat hydros when the hydro control is all the way forward my hands can barely hold the control handle and the bar at the same time because its so spread apart.:hammerhead:

IF the price is right buy it!

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait till next year and see if your dealer still carries the brand. Tehy go through dealers unbeleivably fast. There is something very wrong with great dane and no one has figured it out yet.

9. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i don't have one (great dane), but all the landscapers around here use the dane stander.

10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had two 61" Surfers, and a 52" Surfer...I think I would know. :rolleyes: