Great Danes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gary LA, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Gary LA

Gary LA LawnSite Member
    from B.S.Mo.

Is it true that Great Dane was sued by "The stander"brand for theft of there idea?patent writes or what ever.

Can you get manufacturer parts or are they tied up in litigation.

They are interesting mowers,however they look like they are hard to lift in front to run over rocks ,sticks,etc.,curbs.

I'll bet their spooky on sharp grades too.
  2. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

It is true that Great Dane was sued by Wright for infrigement of their patent. Wright won the lawsuit and earns a portion of every Dane sale. Plus Dane had to make changes to their product.

Since Great Dane was bought by John Deere, you will be able to find them all over. Parts are plentiful if you have a dealer near you.
  3. I thought the same thing as you about the standerd being spooky on hills, but they both were surprisingly stable on the hills I tried them on. And they were pretty manuverable too.

Great Dane and Wright.
  4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

The stander is a heck of alot more stable on hills than a ztr. I"ve taken the stander on some pretty step hill before and if it starts to tip just step of the back and let it roll.
  5. Hey can you take a pic of it rolling and one after its done?

I would like to see it roll for one, and the no damage to the mower.

This would be a great buying point.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent way to advertise the standers. :D
  7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I f i ever figure out a way to make it roll i'll defintly get you a picture but don't hld your breath cause it's probly gonna take me a while.

my piont was though that even if it does roll it's the easiest, safest machine because all you have to do is steep of the back, let go of the controls and your out of harms way.
  8. Gary LA

Gary LA LawnSite Member
    from B.S.Mo.

I have been known to hit a fence post or 2 because I do mow very close at high speeds.

I have perminent scarying on My left forearm because of flipping over the front on contact.I land on the muffler because it is out front of the engine and it becomes a great place for your arm to come to rest.

I'm sure several passer by's have got a bit of a laugh when they witness my little mishaps!Quite embarrasing I must say.

I guess my point is that the way you lay on that pad its probably harder to flip over the front at high speeds when you run into something.
  9. I got the point, I just wanted to see what it doen't do to the machine. I think it would be cool to see it in action.

I have rolled a 48" WB and a 4 wheeler before, with no damage.

I had an employee drop on of my WB's off a 6 ' drop retaining wall, took me 2 hours to fix.

Another I let a buddy barrow one and he rolled it down a hill, cost him $250 in parts for me to fix, took 3 hours.

Like Hoss and I think it would be an excellent way to advertise the standers. And maby they could use our idea. Humm do I hear commisions coming.
  10. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i had talk to jd dealers and he showed me a pic of the green stander its got a jd deck on it, i asked if they would be selling the chariots he said no.
    so i wonder about the chariots all dealers stoped selling them around here . they dont like dealing with dane takes to long to get parts . still does . and most quite selling before jd had boute them.