great day of work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamadrummer, Dec 31, 2007.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a friend of mine today who happens to be in the same business, actually been in it for a lot longer than me (Since I am only going into my 4th month on my own). To make a long story kind of short, he had a Shindiawa (sp) LE231 that he had a problem with since he bought it and it only had about 10 hours on it and he simply did not want to deal with it anymore.

I got it for $75 which I just deducted out of my pay. It starts up no problem when it is cold but if you stop it when hot it wont start at all or it takes forever to get it going! I went ahead and changed out the champion plug for a new NGK and we will see how that does. I am thrilled because all I had before today was my split boom edger/hedger/pruner so now I have a dedicated edger.

:clapping:

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Might be the coil.

3. tamadrummer

If the plug doesn't fix it, that was my next guess.

How much are coils?

I can only guess that all in all if I have to troubleshoot and repair a couple of items I am still better off as far as not having to pay for a brand new edger.

Thanks Envy and congrats on the new life. I hope you and your family have a fantastic future!

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have two Shindaiwa T231's that did the same thing...they had trouble on hot restarts. My dealer said it was a problem Shindaiwas was having...cant remember exactly what he did to them, but they were fine for about a season and started doing it again.

5. tamadrummer

Is it possible that it is bad coils?

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Attached Files:

7. tamadrummer

thanks very much! I will go to the dealer and get one of these kits. You probably saved me a ton of heartache!

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Thats it..thats what my dealer did that I couldnt remember.:hammerhead:

9. tamadrummer

Well so far the spark plug has done the trick. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

If it stops working when the weather heats up, I will go to the dealer and get one of those kits.