Great day turned sour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowcountry Lawn Care, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Just thought I would share my day with you guys. As far as lawn care, I can't complain a bit. I picked up six new accounts in one neighborhood. Pretty good to be this late in the season, but the mood of the day would soon change. I am a volunteer firefighter and in between yards my station was dispatched to a car accident with two people trapped in the car. I've been on several of these calls so this was no big deal until I heard the location. The location was my house. When I arrived, I saw that the two brick columns I have in my front yard had been completely torn apart. Then I saw the vehicle inches from my house wrapped around a pine tree. The two victims involved didn't survive and needless to say I can't look out my window without thinking about it. I can't stop thinking about not only the victims but also the victims families. This close to the holidays and losing a loved one has to be one of the toughest things anyone could go through. I keep trying to think of things I could possibly do for the families of these victims, but nothing really comes to mind. What could I really do. I've been to many accidents similar to this with very similar outcomes but this one was physically close to home for me. This really makes you think of how short life really is and how quickly it can be taken away. Business is a priority for me, but this has helped me realize that family must come first and life is short and live it to the fullest. I just had to get some of these thoughts off of my mind. Thanks as always guys.

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... that's a tuff one neighbor. Our heart goes out to you. All we can do is keep their families in our prayers right now.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a sad situation, sometimes we just dont realize how quickly life can be taken away. We need to keep the family members of those lost in the wreck in our prayers.

4. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Wow that's heavy duty.

Don't really have anything else to say, The old saying "Treat every day as if it were you last come to mind"

Peace

5. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

Very Sad indeed....

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--there is nothing you can do other than accommodate the families if they want to come to the scene.

and it might seem cold, but you shouldn't try to do anything for them. JMO.

what about your property? will you turn the damage in on your homeowners?

good luck.

GEO :(

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I can relate some what to your situation. I had been a vol fireman for 5 years and then became an EMT. The week I took my practical exam we had a car wreck in the parking lot of our Fire Dept. I was the 2nd person there and our Dept only has 2 emt's(our fire fighters are not required to be emts). A car had hit a tree and split the car in 2 parts. The driver was thrown almost 100 feet and I couldnt find a pulse. A girl was in the wreckage and was alive. As I examined her I found she had lost both legs below the knees. She died as the helicopter landed at the trauma center. I still see her in my mind and Her family keeps a wreath on that tree in our parking lot at the Fire dept.
    It is something you will probably never forget, but it does make you think how short life can be and how special and dear our family is to each of us.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

G_C_F mentioned the wreath on the tree for those that passed.

I believe if it were me, I'd do something small and tasteful to mark the spot/scene...

perhaps a pair of small crosses fixed to the tree...I dunno.

if you think about it, you'll do the right thing, I am sure.

GEO

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that Lowcountry. I am a paid firefighter for the City of Richmond and have seen that same thing happen several times, just not in my front yard. It's not easy. I've had a 4 month old baby die in my arms as we performed CPR on him. I've seen numerous people shot or stabbed. I've seen them die from being in a fire. The best advice that I can give is to provide the best care that you can, go the extra mile, and do the best you can. One thing that you always have to remember in the fire/emt field is that you did not create the problem, you are only there to help. If you internalize all that you see, it will tear you up. You will be a basket case in less than 5 years. I always go beyond the call of duty when neccessary, but when the incident is over, I leave it there. I don't take it with me. You can't take responsibility for what someone else has done to get themselves in a bad situation. All we can do is help. But I can understand in this situation how hard it could be to let it go, since it happened in your own front yard. One thing that I have learned in this job is, when it's your time, it's your time. No one can save you.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have been in the fire biz going on 20 years. I have seen too much misery and I will admit that certain calls are harder to get over than others. You will either deal with it or it will deal with you. That is not meant to sound cold. You are a good person and good people don't want to see this thing happen to anyone. It is harder to take when you literally see it in your front yard, your place of safety.
    I am willing to bet that you are experiencing a bit of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (if you haven't heard of it do a Google search).
    Does your department have a CISD program? If not it is something that is necessary. It is something that can and does help make sence out of the emotions that you are feeling.
    Do know that you are not alone in feeling the way you do. It is completely normal but can be debilitating if you don't understand why.

The best thing you can do is what you have done. You tried to help, things weren't meant to be. You don't make the final call in life. It all has a purpose but we won't know the reason until we meet the Man Above.
    Keep yourself well and get professional counceling if you need it. Talk with your other members but get the help if you need it, there is no shame in that. What would be a shame is if it caused you to quit doing your job because of this. You can help others in the community but you have to stay mentally and physically healthy to do it. If you need to talk further please send me a PM and I will be glad to help you. I have been there brother and know how you are feeling. Take care.