Great deal on a trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chevyman1, Jan 21, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think so...6 x 14 all steel frame, fold down gate, single axle, painted the color you want, hemlock treated floors....$850....jump on this right? Got this quote from a dealer out in Central new York

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

sounds good to me if it is made of tubelar steel and not angle iron, here in va a 6x12 is about 1000 dollars, angle iron trailers are less but not sure how much less

3. chevyman1

not sure, I better ask....why is angle iron worse?

4. grass_cuttin_fool

i cant say it is worse, but the tube steel looks better , in my opinion it just looks better, and it is easier to attatch trimmer racks to because of having 4 square sides instead of 2, and i might be wrong but the tubing is thinner but more strength than angle iron of the same thickness, help me out some one am i on the right track

5. chevyman1

ok, I thought you meant soley because of strength issues, I agree, with you on the rest of that, but starting out, I don't care for now as long as it looks clean and professional and gets my mowers to the jobs

6. grass_cuttin_fool

I think if it is welded and braced well and the cross members are not spaced too far apart it would be ok, I have a friend that built a 16 foot trl out of angle iron and doesnt have it braced good , has everything spaced out to save weight and money. You can see the trailer flex alot when he loads his mowers , and the trailer just doesnt seem solid but he tried to cut too many corners i think

7. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I paid $935 for my 6.5x12 single axle built with angle iron. That is pretty much the going rate around here. Sounds like a good deal on that one. I have priced a 7x16 dual axle with brakes still in angle and it was $1600.

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

For anybody looking for tandems.. here is a good deal.

Brand: U.S. Cargo 6 1/2 x 16 tandem lawn trailer, rear gate, side gate, 2' rails, mesh enclosed, brakes on both axles, break away, new tires and wheels...$1499.00

M.S.I. Elkhart, Indiana

http://www.mobilestructures.com

9. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

that trailor is sweet i want one someday!