great deal on new Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by B&A lawn care, Jul 25, 2008.

1. B&A lawn care

B&A lawn care LawnSite Member

Hope I am not violating any rules here but I just got a whale of a deal on a brand new Kohler twin. I waited until it arrived to be sure it was indeed brand new. Model CV730 which is the 25HP 1" shaft version. The supplier was Surplus Center. Those engines usualy run $1000-1500 This one was $599. The spec number 043 which is Sears replacement. Only thing I had to do was adpapt the wiring harness since it was round pin and mine was flat style. Installed it our SWZ Scag yesterday and mowed last night. Just thought I would post in case there is needs out there.

Not sure if this will be a clickable link but here is the site

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008070709210722&item=28-1682&catname=engines

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

those engines are seconds. they are not pro engines no bearings on the crank and a few other things to cut costs. also i think it only has a 30 day warranty not sure. i only use kohler engines from a kohler dist.

3. B&A lawn care

While I cannot claim to be all knowing when it comes to Kohlers I can claim to have had a few of them apart. NO Command twin I have ever had apart has had bearings on the crank, Including the OEM CV20 I just took off the Scag. The mains are bored into the case and pan and the rods run on the crank with no inserts. Other partsbeing less than spec? cant say, none that can be seen.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

the pro engines have bearings big ones. did you get a warranty? if its the same as oem then yea i would say you got a good deal

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe they give a 90 day one.

6. B&A lawn care

I am not realy lookig to argue here but I looked over at Kohler's site again and noticed the command "pro" enigines. Not sure who uses them but Scag uses std Commands, at least in the walk behinds. Warrenty states 2 years to original end user which is me. Best hope with any warrenty is a person doesnt need to fool with it, LOL. Anyway the replacement seems to be the full equal of what Scag put in it new exceot trhe 730 is rated higher.

7. GravelyNut

If the Owner's Manual says 2 years, then that is Kohler's standard warranty. Run the daylights out of it in those 2 years. :D

8. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2 year engine warranty only comes with the unit it is attatched to. Replacement engines only come with a 90 day as they fall into the category of a part. If you had an engine failure under the original engine manufacture warranty and they(Kohler) give you a replacement you will not get a new full two year warranty on that engine. The only exception I had seen is a unit that was changed out around the 1 year mark and they gave the customer the remaining original warranty time on the replacement. That was many moons ago and they may have ceased this practice also.

9. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

The Kohlers without the bearings or with just the pressed in bushings like the Kawasakis use can still last a long time with just basic care. I have several with over 2000 hours so just how much longer do they last with the good bearings in them ?
    David

10. GravelyNut

You trying to tell us that if I go out and buy a new Kohler engine, that it's only 90 days?