Great find yesterday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamadrummer, May 15, 2008.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

One of our local used car lots sells all kinds of stuff and every now and then they will have out some used 2 cycle gear and it is pretty beat uo most of the time. Well yesterday I was driving by and they had a pallet with some stuff on it and I spotted a hand held hedge trimmer. (All Stihl tools on the pallet)

Well I stopped and it looked to be in really good shape, so I cranked it up in one pull and it sounded great and the blades are super tight.

Needless to say I picked up the HS 45 (24" 2 sided) hedge trimmer for $75 tax included. Yes it is the homeowner model but shoot for the money, I could not resist. They look and run brand new.

I dumped out the gas that was in it when I got home and put my own mix in it and greased up the gear box.

I am really beginning to love Stihl equipment!!!!
  2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that HS-45 RULES!

I've had mine for a good 6 years, it is the only hedge trimmer I have ever owned and used (other than a string trimmer attachment for tall bushes). I have done many a job with this 'homeowner' model and it has never let me down, never has it failed to impress me, and still today it runs as good as the day I bought it, oh and I never sharpened the blades, not even once.

Do yourself a favor, and after every time you use it, spray down the blades with some kind of oil.
    Doesn't matter what kind, wd-40 is fine thou I use recycled (used) motor oil, but keep the blades lightly oiled between uses.
    At least my HS-45 is one of those machines that apparently last forever.

Hope yours does, too.

Related stuff: I found a 1985 8hp push blower today, guy wants $200 for it, bit old but low hours, minor rust and a few other signs of age but it looks like it could still run strong... Homeowner bought it for himself, doesn't need it anymore.
    Going to get it tomorrow.
  4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I spray it and my extended reach hedge trimmers with fluid film religiously. Before, during and after use they get a good drenching.

Thanks for the confidence boost on my purchase of the homeowner model. I guess the stigma of commercial vs. non-commercial really scares me but this is Stihl not Homelite or Weedeater brand stuff.

Great find on the push blower! If I had one of those I would be able to take on some commercial jobs that a friend has for me but the parking lots are just too big! You have to have a walk-behind blower for them!
  5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Nice find!