Great Idea For Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper22, Jan 4, 2008.

1. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw this on TV. It was not an ad, just some guy on a show mentioned he had one, and that he loved it. I think it is a great idea for a hedge trimmer. Of course this one is electric and I am sure it would not hold up for commercial use. But how great would it be if someone would take this concept and make a commercial gas powered version? I thought it was neat.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/DutchGuard-Catalog/items/item.aspx?itemid=8915080

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Hmm, let's see - a good commercial hedge trimmer is over $400. Add another $150-200 for a collection system.
    Not for me, I'll just rake the clippings onto a tarp.

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't see that working very well for any substantial growth. Maybe for weekly manicuring. It would be like trying take off a full beard with an electric razor.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

That's one of those things even Wal-Mart won't carry because they can see how many would be returned.

5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

are you the same guy that wants to connect 3 lazers together and mow a lawn in like 5 secounds..lmao you have some imagination :weightlifter: will this trimmer have a "Flux Capacitor" also? J/k with ya!

6. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody watches alittle too much tv.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only if she comes with it.

Yeah cuz a) I'm not dealing with it, b) I'll need some stress relief.

That could be, maybe so.

Because I paid dang near 9000 for my lawn mower, and none of the girls in the pic ever showed up :confused:
    At least the mower cuts goo-hood.

I did learn thou, I THINK those ladies are actresses, not Lco's, I am hoping I am wrong but...

garden-groom-1.jpg

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It would, of course, need some changes to make it commercial. But all in all it's not a bad idea.

The one thing that scares me about this particular model is the marketing. I tend to shy away from anything that has to stretch the truth to sell. For example:

1: this eliminates the fear factor that many gardeners face, when using a conventional hedge trimmer

Gimme a break. I've known a few real gardeners before and the fear of cutting the mains cable wasn't high on their list of things to be afraid of.

2: The Garden Groom promotes an overall healthier hedge, as the dead waste is not left in the hedge.

I've seen things that will hurt a hedge before. Lack of water, bugs, over pruning and funguses will definately hurt them. Never have I seen some clippings damage anything except for grass. If fact, if anything leaving the clippings behind to fall on the ground will kinda act as a mulch and help promote good growth.

It's kinda like those tv ads you see for that 3 bladed trimmer attachment. It shows a guy standing there trying to get trimmer line put on a spool and he winds up all wound up in the line. Just for grins and giggles I will occasionally do that when my wife walks by if I am rewinding a spool. She gets a big kick out of it.

9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't trim anything with something that looks like a model space ship.

10. huntemup

huntemup LawnSite Member

It looks like it falls under the same lines as the old tool that you hook-up to your vaccum sweeper,to cut your hair.The floow bee?