1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great info here...thanks!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutNLawns, Nov 11, 2004.

1. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Stumbled onto this site a couple days ago and now have many hours in searching all previous topics. I am currently a Mfg. Engineer and have been for the past 10 yrs but this year I have found myself REALLY fed up with all the office politics and working for someone else why they make all the profits. I am convinced there is a better way to make a living. I mowed lawns as a kid starting when I was 10 and was able to buy my first car at 14 (69 Camaro) so i know there is $$$ to be made. I am a very hard worker and a perfectionist with everything I do. There are only a couple things i love to do and that is hunting, mowing grass and detailing cars. Hunting for a living is a tough gig and rare, detailing cars is LOTS of hard work and not as profitable so that leaves me with lawn care. I am going to make a go of it this spring but do not wish to start part time and work into it. I want to research everything I can and have all my ducks in a row and go full bore into it as i know I can make it work and work well and sites like this are answering a lot of the questions I have. My wife is not so convinced as she is not a risk taker and likes the steady paycheck but the way I look at it is that atleast I tried and if it doesn't work I can always go back to what i do now but at least i tried. Sorry for rambling on as I just think I needed to keep convincing myself it is the right thing to do and to say thanks for the great info on this site!

Are there any other sites you guys go to for info?
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

cut n lawns welcome to the site, this is a great place to learn alot. There are other forums on the internet also but this is by far th best :cool2:
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try to land a large mowing account asap. This will allow you to start off with a bang. I would also focus on upper class income neighborhoods and estates. Since it will take some time to fill up daily schedules with "average" lawns, you should focus on larger properties at first, where you will be able to take your time, and get paid well. Just my .02 GOOD LUCK
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to lawnsite, hope everything works out for you and your new career ever need anything just ask.
  5. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

CutNLawns...You convinced me! :)

I am sure you will do very well for yourself and your family!

I like Gene's advice as well!

Welcome Aboard!

6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Thanks guys and Gene that is exactly what i am doing right now. I am fortunate that I have many upscale opportunities and know many of the people who reside there. One question, how do you guys schedule you daily routes. I would assume you try to locate all the jobs in a particular area for less travel but when you get 100...200 accounts how in the world to you keep track?
  7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

We schedule tight routes for each day of the week. I will not do a Tuesday lawn on a Friday. I did at first, but once the schedules became full I put a stop to that. I will sometimes not get the job because of that reason.

It is good to have the same lawns getting done on the same day, in the same order each week. It becomes like clockwork. I schedule the prime accounts to be done on Wed, Thur, and Friday. I do less desirable homes and commercial properties on Mon, and Tue.