Great Job! Need help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bluediamond, Aug 19, 2003.

1. bluediamond

bluediamond LawnSite Member

Hey-
    I'm working on an estimate, for what could potentially be a great job- but I'm having some problems with pricing. If anyone could take a minute to let me know what they would charge for a job like this- I'd greatly appreciate it. I mainly stick to lawn care- so I don't have too much experience in pricing out a job like this. Here are the specs: (and thanks ahead of time)

6000 sq. feet
    Clean up weeds, graded out- get ready for sod
    sod costs .25/ sq. foot
    approx. 40 yards top soil (at 2" deep) $22/yd
    1, 30 yard dumpster (approx $300????)
    2 day Bobcat rental (approx $300????)

First off- with 3 guys total- how long do you think this job would take?
    Any prices- for any of these items would help me a lot- and if you know all the prices- and want to give me a total quote- even better! I'm on Long Island- if you want to recommend any vendors with great prices. If I get this job- it very well could lead to others by the same owner. And hey- if I can help you with any questions in the future- I'll do my best. Thanks.:dizzy:

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

How much grading and weed cleaning up is involved?

3. bluediamond

Not too much grading- relatively easy. The ground is pretty much level. All the areas that need sod are covered in weeds and grass about 6-8" high. Thanks.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

First off, the prices you have listed seem a little high to me. (If you would like to pm or email me I can get you in touch with vendors we use). We charge $1.00 per sqft of sod installed all inclusive. You will find companies underbidding as low as .60-.80 per sqft. How they are making money... I don't know.

As far as time, we would knock that out in 1 day with 3 guys. Since you are a little newer at this I would figure on 2 days. (I hope you can operate a machine, if not hire an operator).

You are looking at 10 pallets of sod (don't forget to include tax, pallet deposits, delivery charges). If there are alot of angles or cuts, make sure you figure in more sq footage. If the ground is pretty much level, you can get away with less topsoil. ($22.yd is expensive.) The skid steer would be more than $300. for 2 days including tax and insurance, unless you have a deal with someone. The dumpster, you got me on that one. We would cart our own debris away.

Also figure on a bag of starter fert. Just a sprinkle before you lay the sod. Just make sure it is slow release, and watered in as not to burn the roots. Any more questions... just ask. :cool:

5. bluediamond

Hey-
    Thanks a lot. That really helps. I would like to get in touch with your vendors. How do I get your e-mail address? I can't send a personal message- it says it was shut off by the admin.

6. paponte

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

The costs he is indicating are realistic

Delalio Delivers at $.31 and is the best sod to be using.
    Top soil even at $22 a yard delivered is not that bad

These are his costs mind you............

The pallet deposit he gets back
    Sales tax he does pay when purchasing the sod. He maybe able to work out a deal to get the sod less, pending the delivery address. That would be one full trailer.

As for doing the weed problem and raking it out. I would rent a sod cutter and rake the weeds out that way. Spread the top soil and level. Apply lime, and a preventer. I would schedule 1 day for that seeing how your using a bobcat. May want to schedule another 1/3 of a day for unforseen circumstances.

Let all that settle for a week.

Now it's time for sod. 6,000 sq ft is alot of sod. They would deliver in the early AM. 3 guys no experience I would schedule more than a day. Any sod left overnight move it to the back and in the shade.

Total time for job 3 days. And that's a reasonable time schedule.

Remember to let the soil settle before laying out the sod. It will be easier when you have to wheel barrow the sod around and is easier to walk on and will be less hassle.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

oops

Wanted to edit not quote...........:mad:

Get it all delivered, sure you save $.6 picking up the sod. But a waste of time getting 1 or 2 pallets at a time. Your time is more efficient having all the material there at one time when you need it.

9. bluediamond

I guess what I'm asking is...
    If this was your job- how much TOTAL would you tell the customer?
    I want to make sure I'm in the right range at least.

10. paponte

I would be around $6k site unseen. as far as my costs, I will list a couple for you.

Sod $.23 sqft p/u (10 pallets = 2 trucks and trailer)
    Topsoil $14. yd p/u $16. yd delivered
    Fertilizer $12.

Total material cost: $2000.00 (rounded up)

You must pay tax on sod, but can't charge it on the installation since it is a capital improvement.

As far as the weed and grass thing, it would really depend on how good you are with a machine. If your not the greatest, a sod cutter would help, but is not necessary. Also if everything is taken up and removed, I feel a preventative is not necessary also.

If you are applying 2" of topsoil and spreading it with a machine, I also don't see the need for waiting a whole week. Rule of thumb I use is anything over 3" will need to settle or be compacted in certain instances. Again these are just my opinions.:cool: