Great Marketing Study

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team-Green L&L, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had to share this one for everyone.

Cambridge University did a marketing study a few years back. It went like this:

10,000 flyers were sent out to a specific mailing list and the response rate was 1-2%.

10,000 of the same flyers were sent to the same people 3 months later with a big red dot on it. This generated 3-4% return calls.

As you can see, it is ALL about what is on the flyer itself.

2. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

Interesting study.......so are you putting a giant red dot on your next batch of flyers???:laugh:

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll try it.

Tim

4. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Was the red dot in the same position on all of the flyers? It would be interesting to understand why the data reflects a greater response rate. Based on the limited details of the study that were just shared, I would be more inclined to attribute the increased response to the fact that it was repeated to the same recipient base. Studies have suggested that people need to see an ad several times before they are affected by it. I would be suspicious of the red dot theory in the absence of more thorough data.

5. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion, there was a greater responce rate because the people were more familiar with the company because they remembered the previous flyers they had recieved. I doubt the red dot has anything to do with it, although I am probably wrong.....

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is exactly what I was thinking. Actually, they should have run a control batch, also. This would have been two mailings but withOUT the dot. Also, what type of service was it? What was the timing? For instance, I could send 10,000 flyers out right now for maintenance or fert., and send 10,000 more out in March-April, and I bet I get alot more responses than I would right now. There MUST be alot more to this study, because the info here is just way too inconclusive.

7. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

hit them a lot more then ounce

8. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

That would be my take, many studies have been done stating. Most consumers will see your name at least 6 times before they will call. So being more persistant will pay off.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm cheap when it comes to advertising...
    First, I do it all myself.
    Second, pasting a red dot on each flyer would consume enormous amounts of time, plus someone has to pay for the sticky dots.
    If printed, it would involve an extra color (+$).

Now I always used black ink, one color.
    And I personally think it boils down to colors, black and white alone is not good enough.
    But true color is costly.
    Herein lies the problem: If color gets better response, can the extra cost be recovered?

So what I always did was to use a bright yellow paper instead of plain white.
    Cheapest way to get 2 colors :)

And yes, the response rate is better overall...
    Since the price for the paper is the same or very similar, now it doesn't matter cost-wise.
    But I agree that you need to study this over time and throughout the entire area, or there exists insufficient data.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me elaborate a little since I got some response. The second run of flyers DID increase call percentages I'm sure, but staudies have shown .5% increase in repeat marketing of like ads.

The red dot is not the point here. The point here is that marketing must attract the attention of the audience. If your material is just a common ad it will, most likely, be thrown away. Playing the numbers game is fine for lowball bidders and road warriors, but I like to close a high % and have less wasted material.

I wouldn't suggest using a "red dot" but to use the information provided in the study. The same concept is on the highway with the "moving billboards". Mayflower and others have been "tagging" their trucks and trailors for eons, but when a "moving billboard" truck drives 5 lanes away you will look. Why? Because it's different from what you're used to.

I hope that clarifies the basis of the study a little.