Great moves or big mistakes?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redclay, Jan 17, 2006.

1. redclay

redclay LawnSite Member
    from GA

I've been thinking of starting a seperate fert-n-squirt business this year. I need to decide yes or no soon. Currently doing lawn install and erosion control.
    What are some of the best moves you guys made starting out?

The biggest mistakes?

YES I am licensed; YES I have working knowledge of turf care(golf course). I just don't have unlimited funds to throw at this venture. I hope to avoid as many " I wish I had/had'nt" type instances as possible.
    thanks in advance for your comments!

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Started my fert and squirt while working for a LCO. Started with a back pack sprayer, push spreader, borrowed van, and 1,000 dollars to cover startup cost for insurance and licensing.

That was 2004, in 2005 we did almost 6 million sq ft a round. Not a single regret here.

Best move = working for someone else and starting my business on the side to get a customer base started

Worst move #1= Having a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage. Boy, if I did this when I was 22 and not 30. But don't take that the wrong way, I wouldn't change where I am heading or where I have been for anything . Life is good.

Worst move #2= buying equipment I thought I needed before I actually had to have it. Unnecessary expenditure.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was doing lawn maintenence and got my license for weed control in '98
    3 years ago got one in general pest and turf & ornamental , the best thing I ever did , much much more money with 10% of the effort .
    Pest control is rated one of the 10 best ways to become a milliomaire .
    I'm just sorry I did not do it sooner cuzz I'm now 50 , today , infact .
    Truf Hokie is right , buy nothing untill you know you need it , then buy it .
    The second best thing I've done is to get a license for g. pest .

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just sorry I did not do it sooner cuzz I'm now 50 , today , infact ."

Happy Birthday, Old Man:drinkup:

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks , I think:)